Would anyone be interested in the idea of having a real "book club" within this group?

As in, we'd choose a book to read every month, and then start a discussion on it on a certain day.

That's the basics, details can be decided later if there are enough people that show an interest in the idea.

Let me know what you think :)

Views: 4

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds interesting.

I'm already in another book club, so not sure I want another monthly 'assignment'...... but yeah, I'm probably up for it!
Well, hopefully we'd be able to pick interesting, 'unputdownable' books that don't feel like assignments. :P
That's the problem...... if I start reading an 'unputdownable' book, I won't be able to....er..... put it down.
I'm so desperate for something to read that I'm rereading stuff that I've read once already. Its starting to make me feel kinda stupid and bored because I know what's going to happen anyway. So long as what we're reading isn't already in the atheist curriculum i.e. Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens.
I don't know, I've read a good few books at least half a dozen times (Weaveworld, The Launching of Roger Brook, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls amongst others) and, although I know how they end, it's following the plot itself that gives me pleasure.

Non-fiction is a different story (no pun intended!)
Well I reread Stephen King's Langoliers in 4 Past Midnight and I was thinking about finishing the rest of the novellas but then my brother suggested reading Catcher In the Rye which despite all the cult appeal and all the great stuff people have told me about it just didn't work out too well for me. I was terribly bored and kept waiting for something interesting or anything at all to happen. Then he gave me another book called King Dork which goes along the same exact lines as Catcher and I'm getting kinda tired of reading about a bunch of whiney teenagers so I started reading some short stories by King that I'd already read but I was enjoying those and it was nice to take a break from all the angst.
Oh, am totally interested. Not sure how much I'll be able to read/contribute during the summer months but I will follow along as well as I can.

Great idea!
I would absolutely participate. Honestly, I have never been part of a real book club where everyone read the same thing and discussed it, unless you count University courses : )
I guess I'm a lone ranger..no longer
I would happily do this, too. But start it soon, school starts in a month! :)
I'm definitely interested! I've never been a book club member but I love discussing books. My analysis bores the crap out of my husband so he'll be happy about it too lol
I've never been in a "proper" (i.e. organised) book club, and fancy giving it a go. Count me in. :-)
ditto

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service