The title says it all - tell us which book(s) you're currently reading, and what you think so far.

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

Having been away for a week, I took the opportunity to re-read Dune. It's still one of my favourite novels of all time and, I think, a very humanist story.
Swindled: The Dark History of Food Fraud, from Poisoned Candy to Counterfeit Coffee. I find food and the food business fascinating. So far it's alright, but I wish the author didn't digresses from the actual topic quite as often.
I've just started reading Space Captain Smith by Toby Smith. So far it's proving to be a very funny steampunk parody
I think ive read that. Is that where a witch finds this baby in a rotted out tree stump and the baby is really ugly. A bear pretty much raises the child. Does it have a lot of fairy tale similaraties in it and stuff?

If it is i actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I read it in like a day and a half to two days, but of course i was in high school then and thats all i did in class anyway. luls.

Hope you enjoy it.
Nearly finished with Bertrand Russell's "The ABC of Relativity" and I have started on " The Science and Fiction of Autism" by Laura Schreibman.

Most enjoyed book I have read this year is " Pandora's Keepers : Nine Men and the Atomic Bomb"
I just finished the Invention of Air by Stephen Johnson. I enjoyed it very much. It has an interesting mix of the history of science & American history. I believe that Dry Storeroom No. 1 by Richard Fortey will be next.
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. His writings on the politics and leadership of his time are so vivid, I am enjoying it so far. :)
American Gods by: Neil Gaiman and Wicked By: Gregory Mcguire
I'm about halfway through The Arabian Nights. Some of the stories are fun, some are very tedious.
Hi. Just joined the group and AN tonight. I am currently rereading Sam Harris "The End Of Faith". I've read many fantastic books in my life thus far, but this really hits the nail on the head where god-belief is concerned. Highly recommended.
Just finished Common Wealth: Economics for a Crowded Planet by Jeffrey Sachs. He gets in plenty of subtle jabs at religion's meddling in human progress. He does so dispassionately, making it all the more enjoyable.
Hi all,

I'm a recent arrival to A|N and a complete newbie to this group. I'm currently overcoming my irrational but intense dislike of Russian literature and reading War and Peace - turns out it's amazing! Might have to some of the others a second chance ...

Also, if I may, a mini-rant regarding the last book I read: The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Excuse my French but what a piece of shite. Annoyingly it was one of those ones where you had to read till the end to find out what happens/happened but I sincerely regret wasting those few days reading the book. Plot: predictable, characterisation: two-dimensional is giving the author too much credit, style: affected and clumsy. This book has single-handedly nearly destroyed any desire I may ever have had of spending time in Spain, that is how gruesome he presents Spanish society to be (though probably unintentionally).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service