Palin may have tried to fire a city librarian when she refused to agree to censor books in the library. It's still unclear if this is actually what happened, but the appearance was there and Palin did nothing to change that perception. Any guesses what books she would like none of us to read?
Here's a recent article on the issue:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/election2008/story/51821.html

Tags: Books, Censorship, Election, Freedom, Libraries, Palin, Read, to

Views: 8

Replies to This Discussion

Palin claims that it was a "loyalty" test. She claimed it was a "rhetorical" question.

Here's a link to the stories the article references at the Anchorage Daily News and The Frontiersman:

Palin Pressured Wasilla Librarian (will open in a new tab/window)

Palin: Library censorship inquiries 'Rhetorical' (will open in a new tab/window)

She seems to know how to tread at least one careful line. I think that the conclusion we can draw from the articles are not that she tried to ban books, but that in her career she's shown a pattern of abuse of power (all the way to Troopergate), and even rhetorical disagreement with her is not tolerated.

Beyond that, I think that we can also conclude that she will walk a fine and risky line to make those that do agree with her narrow worldview happy.
Agreed. She does need to walk a very fine line. It's interesting that her handlers kept her off the talk shows last Sunday. She needs more training in watching what she says, and they clearly don't trust her yet.

Regarding the library issue: Palin does say it was a loyalty test. I wonder what test questions she posed to other officials? I can really think of only two reasons to ask a librarian a loyalty question about whether or not she would censor. One is that the asker does not want censorship and wants to be sure that the library remains a place which supports freedom to read. The other is that the asker is offended (or her constituents are) by much of what's in popular modern books. Common sense based on Palin's past actions and statements tell me that in her case it is clearly the latter. And again, she has never, to my knowldedge, said that she does not support censoring library materials.
I wonder the same thing. Maybe rhetoric was completely hypothetical, maybe it wasn't. Because I dislike her, and because I am familiar with small town politics, I sort of doubt that she pulled the question out of her bum.

We will know only if someone comes forward with a story of their own, but I kind of doubt anyone from the AOG church that she attended there will come forward. The congregation isn't exactly being talkative right now. (Who can blame them? Some of the MSM are running clips from Jesus Camp to illustrate what goes on inside.)

OTOH, it says a lot about her character that she was willing to entertain the idea of pulling books. She must have known that she wouldn't be successful in the end. Librarians are a tough bunch and there is a strong social taboo against banning books in addition to the Constitution. The ACLU would have been on Palin like slice on bread. She wouldn't have time to put on her lipstick and whimper.

In connection with the upcoming election, I think the subterfuge and the abuse of power in such a small town bother me more than the censorship.
So, in other words, it would be ok to, say, proposition someone at work or offer a child you don't know candy or a ride in your car - just a test, right?
Apparently it is okay to propose something that's unconstitutional if it's rhetorical.

It's only okay to proposition underage Congressional Pages if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They'll tuck you away until the press (and the public) forgets about it.

It's a very fine line our politicians must walk. That's why we pay them the big bucks.
We are at the cusp of a world changing turn in politics. If you aren't already, get registered to vote and do so.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service