The 1990s featured a split in music styles exaggerating, with wildly popular hits from very different genres. The 90s pop music was almost aggressively cheerful, as evidenced by "Mmm Bop" by teeny boy boppers Hanson.

Mainstream commercial rap and R&B set deep roots during this decade, with huge hits like Will Smith's "Men in Black".

The alternative music scene was influenced both by its Seattle grunge roots and the punk rock of a prior generation.

Another rising music trend was the female singer-songwriter, aka Chick Rock. These included Lisa Loeb, Gwen Stefani, Tori Amos, and Alanis Morisette.

And how could we ever forget about girl power?

Finally, there was Britney. And N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys.

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

Uh, I'm just explaining the decade. My own music taste was a little better, or at least I didn't *just* listen to popcorn nonsense, honest!
Gwen Stefani is great! I'm not too familiar with the others.

What do you think of Le Tigres?
What a great pop collection from the 90s! I tried to add in the rave music of the 90s but so much of it does not allow embedding!! :-(
So Ill keep working on it!
I think that The Aphex Twin counts as 90's rave music, yes? Or at least "Drum and Bass" which isn't too far removed.

" target="_blank">
Daily Motion has a lot of embeddable videos. BMG and the other music companies are stopping embed codes on YouTube but haven't found DM yet.
I'm sure there's lots! Why don't you post what you like?
Yeah, feel free. This was just me taking a stab at it, but obviously there was Jill Sobule, Counting Crows, Verve, Verve Pipe, Merril Bainbridge, Meredith Brooks, Paula Cole, Jewel, TLC, and on and on and on.... Add stuff - go for it!
Lets not forget the importance of the rise of Electronic music to it's underground prominence. Imo the best of this era owes a huge creative debt to the punk subculture, but still manages to remain artistically distinct.

Enjoy...
" target="_blank">
I just realized that Nirvana wasn't represented in this thread. To this day people are still arguing about what counts as "alternative" because of how famous these guys got.

Also, check out the blues induced trance at the end ;)
" target="_blank">
Great addition. I really like these guys :-) (and they're actually my kids generation (1990s ... not mine. Lol)
Haha, I thought about adding Nirvana but was like, "No, everyone's heard smells like Teen Spirit a million times already."

So here's Weird Al's parody "Smells Like Nirvana" (Weird Al works for all musical decades.)

lol so true Weird Al so true.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service