Post your favorite classical and orchestra.

Views: 554

Replies to This Discussion

I love Beethoven. Thanks Steph.

How about something a touch off the beaten track ... by Percy Grainger?  To wit, the first movement of his wonderful work, Lincolnshire Posy?

I played A LOT of Grainger music in college and also currently now and then in my community band.  In addition to his wonderful music, Grainger had a very interesting personal life.  He was an out atheist, an out racist, an out anti-Semitic and sexually into Bondage & Degradation. 

Well, from reading the comments of those who have actually PLAYED his music, apparently he was into torturing musicians, too, with LOTS of hemidemisemiquavers and screwy time signatures!

Still, it's GREAT music!

Excellent music. I know for myself, if I couldn't separate the artist's personal life from the craft I'd have very little in the arts to appreciate.

Beethoven's 7th. Here is the 2nd movement performed by the Berlin Philaharmonic. The whole thing is utterly beautiful. 

I agree, utterly beautiful.

Absoloutely, stunningly, breathtakingly, gorgeous.

What really moves me about music, particularily classical and jazz, is that the more you put into it, the greater the return. I'm not saying it can't be listened to casually, because it certainly can. Or that other types of music can't be listened to critically, for they can also. But it seems more applicable to classical (and for me jazz), that the greater time I take to really listen to it, with no distractions, hearing the melody, counter-melody, rhythmns, tone, the feelings that the composer/director/players put into the performance, the greater my emotional connection is, the greater my understanding of the music is. And it is very personal. No two of us will connect exactly the same. Similar, maybe, but not the same. What a beautiful mosaic mankind is. As his music will inform you of, if you will just listen.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Health & Fitness
25 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Diabetes
42 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Wildlife
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo posted discussions
2 hours ago
Trick replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
3 hours ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Cancer
3 hours ago
Rick Springfield commented on Freethinker31's blog post We Are Not Alone in the Universe
3 hours ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
3 hours ago
Bud the Wonderer replied to Christine's discussion What exactly is "sin" anyway??
3 hours ago
Pat replied to Christopher Cosgrove's discussion How insecure is the deity that blasphemy has the death sentence? http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28439518
4 hours ago
Pat replied to Joe's discussion GOP candidate claims fossil record proves humans lived with dinosaurs in the group Atheist News
4 hours ago
Joe Tomberlin replied to Joe's discussion N. TX Atheist group makes appeal to Hispanic non-believers in the group Atheist News
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service