Post your favorite classical and orchestra.

Views: 542

Replies to This Discussion

I love classical and orchestra music. I have much in mind. I'll come back and post some music.

Please do, and feel free to add a discussion on a different genre.

The rest are on the other page

in my top 10...

http://youtu.be/dGgyGGSFCWw 

Fanfare for the Common Man by Aaron Copeland. Performed by the HoustonYouth Symphony Orchestra. What they lack in Professional calibre, they make up for in thier youthful enthuism. I just love youth orchestras, and really love Copeland.

Thank you for posting that. I feel very patriotic now!

My favorite Copeland piece is El Salon Mexico. We played it both in high school and college, and others of his, of course. They say he is the dean of 'American classical music'. Not sure what that means. I mean listen to Gershwin, Groffe, Glass, or Bernstein even. Each American, but diverse in form, tone, cadence. Still, when I feel somewhat drained, slightly melancholy, Fanfare kicks it.

I just listened to El Salon Mexico. I really enjoyed it. This song is a perfect example of what I love about music, it's ability to stir emotion and transport you to a different time and place. Thank you.

Also, I am a bit uneducated when it comes to composers, but I was delighted to find out that Copland did Hoe Down from Rodeo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er8JloGJhAQ&feature=related

Try the complete Billy the Kid from Copeland. Martha Graeme did a ballet to it. Also Appalachian Spring is absoloutely breathtaking.

My favorite recording of El Salon Mexico is from 1938 by the Mexico City Orchestra. Performed two years after Copeland wrote. They got input from Copeland on the performance, and it is much truer to the original intent he had in mind when he wrote it. It will sound slightly different to the ear than later interpretations.

I'll have to look it all up for sure.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service