Hello all, also, yay my first post in this group.

I've recently been in one on one talks with the Dean and an Admissions Board member for a particular dental school I've been look at getting into. From the language I hear when I talk with them it looks like all the ducks are lining up quite nicely and I'll be walking into dental school next June. Barring some horrible turn of events I will be paid to stick my fingers in people's mouths in four years' time.

For those of you who don't know; I was a social science student who, at the latest possible moment, realized that it was not for me. I was maxed out on units at my University and went back to city college to take science undergrad pre-reqs because my GE science grades were far less than stellar. I essentially taught myself Biology, Chemistry and Organic Chemistry for the Dental Admissions Test because I did not have time to learn them in a classroom and still hope to get in on a more ideal time frame. In spite of it all I scored surprisingly good marks; good enough to make a viable candidate for at least one school based almost solely on those scores.

I wanted to say thank you to his noodliness; Carbo Deium, RAmen.

While I've been going through all the excitement I've been considering just how "out" I want to be when I go into practice. The doctors I work with have told me that I need to be social tofu (they are mild Christians); taking on the tastes of the person in my chair. I don't like it, but they're right. Being an atheist is particularly difficult considering that 80% of Americans would distrust an atheist based solely on their atheism; being a medical practitioner, not having the trust of one's patient can be quite an obstacle. For me, it's not an obstacle worth overcoming with every patient.

Out side of the office I plan to be as "out" as one can be. In the office, however, I plan to be as mute about my lack of faith as I expect all doctors to be about their faith condition while in the operatory.

Views: 89

Replies to This Discussion

That is the way of things in most fields, I don't even tell many people how I feel. I try to be professional in the work area.
Good luck! Actually, scratch that. I'm sure you don't need luck, sounds like you will do well :)

I'm sure you will occasionally hear things from your patients that you'll want to refute or question but you just can't do it and remain professional. My husband (I'm not in the medical field, he is) has been asked to pray with his patients on occasion and although he doesn't like it and definitely won't lead a prayer (doubt he'd know how) he will stand silently while someone else offer's a prayer for the reason that it encourages trust with the patient and sometimes even more importantly with the family.
ditto what others have said. i do like the expression 'social tofu'. People sometimes ask. My response is that I dont' discuss religion. That what happens in the room is about THEM, not about me. And it's true.
Wow, I feel very saddened that those that are so much more educated aren't, for professional(financial) reasons unable to voice their beliefs. I wouldnt know how to approach it if it were my job, but just hearing about your out and in issues just brings to light how few of us actually can speak freely in our workplaces(where we spend 8hrs min per day). I wish you could educate them while working on their teeth. I'd come to you! Currently, my hygienist is religious and my dentist is very nice, but too accepting of all gods cuz its his biz on the line.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service