I'm a new RN looking for work.  I've heard all sorts of dire stories about employers checking out a prospect's Facebook page and other social networks, and I'm wondering if any atheist nurses out there had trouble getting or keeping a job due to coming out as an atheist on internet sites.   I don't go around loudly proclaiming my atheism on job applications or in interviews, but obviously - since I'm here - I haven't kept it a secret on the internet.

Views: 32

Replies to This Discussion

I'm in the same boat you are.  Should get my license in the mail in the next month.  I actually list myself on facebook as a "secular humanist jew," but that's really more for family reasons.  I'm guessing that it won't matter too much, since there's such a shortage of nurses, but I guess the area you are looking for work will have some influence on that.  And as a guy, I've got a feeling that they'll care more about my y-chromosome than my religious beliefs.
That might be more of the issue; the Y chromosome bit. We will see...
I am also very worried about this. I am a first year BSN-RN student at a Catholic university. It is an amazing nursing school-likely the best in the metro area of where I live. We are taught to embrace our own spirituality as well as respecting our patients. They have been very good about not throwing any specific deities around. I came out as an atheist to my nursing class, which is only 48 people and professors. After having done that, I get a sense that many people lost respect for me. Will they be good nurses? I doubt it. When someone hears atheist they think we have no spirituality; but we do - it is just defined differently (I think Neil Degrysse Tyson says it best). At least that is where I am coming from.
This is a topic that we need to be very concerned about; it is not religion that makes a good RN it is the individual! Being great nurse and being religious are NOT mutually exclusive! I will let you know how my job search goes, as I will be applying for prn CNA jobs during our winter break for the spring semester. I am also going to be applying for several internships at area hospitals this summer-where you are working with a RN. If places are going to discriminate b/c of this - then we got problems....If you are going to deny me a position deny it to me b/c of my ability not if I believe in a god. I look forward to hearing more from you as you are further down the road, I am assuming you passed the NCLEX and are searching for jobs? Also if anyone knows anything else about nursing and discrimination based on lack of belief please let me know. I have some lawyers in the family ;)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Grinning Cat replied to RRR's discussion Can you stay in the closet forever?
13 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
20 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
25 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
40 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion S.E. Cupp: I’m a ‘Better’ Atheist than Bill Maher in the group Atheist News
44 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion S.E. Cupp: I’m a ‘Better’ Atheist than Bill Maher in the group Atheist News
49 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
50 minutes ago
James M. Martin posted a discussion
52 minutes ago
54 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
59 minutes ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service