I know that as math nerds we're more familiar with our voyager 2000's than our fellow man, but what about that square root of 2 pretty irrational huh? Crazy Pythagoreans, all keepin' it a secret n stuff.

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

So what's your guys connection to maths?

Like me e.g. - I studied it, (but did not finish, so I have no MA...), and I'm a maths teacher (secondary school).
Maths nerds from all corners of the globe (or solar system, or universe in general?) unite!

What's your excuse for calling yourself a Math nerd?

Cheers,
Aleks
I was a math major until last year when I took time off to have a baby and earn some money. I plan to go back.

I have been an algebra and pre-algebra homeschooling cooperative teacher. Spent 2 years tutoring at my college and 1 term tutoring students from a failing school district. I also spent a year tutoring hispanic students through a program at my college. I plan to be a teacher when I finish.

I have an AS in mathematics and am a senior in college. I am very interested in number theory, number history, mathematical art and astronomy (kind of mathematical, definately nerdy).

Anywhoo...That's why I call myself a math nerd.
okay, you're excuse is a lot better than mine ;-)

Just kidding.

Wow, that sounds great! I just started teaching... and those bloody summer courses really crack me up... take sooo long to put together all those tests and even longer to type them, and not to talk about correcting them! Had 4 exams today, but already corrected them, so it should get better.

I first started teaching last Semester. So now - school starts in two weeks - it's going to be my first (whole school-)year to teach (again).

And honestly: I don't see myself being a teacher in about 5 years time. By then, I should be working on my Doctorate in Psychology (hopefully in the field of Differential Psychology, Statistics, Diagnostics, Methods or a good mix), and then stay at the uni...
well, we'll see, how (or if?) it's going to work out.

Cheers,
Aleks
I hadn't heard of differential psychology...is that a mix of psychology and math? How does that work? You have me very curious about that. I dropped my psych major for my math major thinking they were pretty mutually exclusive.
Hello, my connection to math... well I'm an engeneering student, but I'm really thinking to change to something more ("purely") scientific than practical
I got my M.Sc. in Financial Engineering in 2002.
I describe nearly everything in terms of calculus. Although I'm not the sort that says "inversely proportional" in conversation, I am that nerd who says weird stuff like "Evolution is the integral with respect to time of natural selection."
I'm an aspiring research mathematician! (Note the emphasis.) Pure is the way to go.

So, i may as well ask a question: When you "think mathematically" (you know better than many people what this means), is it in any way similar to the thought processes that led you to abandon (or prevented you from adopting) any kind of faith?

I ask because it seems like many people would say so, though i find mathematical thinking rather antithetical to rational/scientific thinking. Thinking mathematically, i use rigor and "grunge work" when i'm forced to, but overall i strive for beauty, harmony, and naturality (getting things to "feel right"). These are the features i have to dodge when i think critically, re: politics, dogma, my personal budget, or whatever, since the reality is never as pretty as we'd want it to be. So, mathematics keeps me from being too "cold". Mwa ha.
I have a BSc in computer science and a BA in sociology (which wasn't very mathematical but did contain a lot of statistics), and I currently teach and computing maths at a further education college.
I'm a Physics senior and used to be a double major in Math until I took "Modern Analysis" and said fuck that(so now I just have a minor). I think I will continue on to get my masters and possibly my PhD in order to teach at the collegiate level.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service