Just watched this this weekend. It is not a bad film at all, and really kept my interest. It is not an exact translation of Macbeth though. Really the only similarity is in the thematic development based on ambition and murder. The plot varies quite a bit from Shakepseare. I'm really discovering that I like these old Russian films. Never thought I would. I will have to study the history of Russian cinema in greater detail.

Siberian Lady Macbeth (1961)

From the Back Cover
Shakespearean tragedy collides with film noir in a remote Russian village in this dark fable from celebrated Polish filmmaker Andrzej Wajda (Danton, Ashes and Diamonds). Siberian Lady Macbeth observes the cruel machinations of Katarina, a ruthless woman (Olivera Markovic) who will let nothing threaten her affair with a mysterious drifter (Ljuba Tadic). When her father-in-saw (Bojan Stupica) discovers the indiscretion, she dispatches him with a dose of rat poison. But soon others, including her husband, sister-in-law and young nephew, develop suspicions of their own…and test the limits to which Katarina’s lethal passion will carry her.

The film’s barbaric black-and-white by Aleksander Sekulovic emphasizes the primordial desires that propel its heroine toward destruction, while Wajda’s carefully composed images (backed by a score drawn from the works of Shostakovich) endow the film with a visual impact and formal grace that make Siberian Lady Macbeth an unsung classic of Eastern European Cinema.

Tags: Film, Macbeth, Russia, cinema, movie, murder

Views: 36

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm, I've never read Madame Bovary. Too many books, so little time.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service