The future hubby and I are currently planning our wedding. (Way far in advance, as we are poor folk!) Anyway, as we won't be having a church wedding - for obvious reasons - can anyone recommend someone to marry us? Thus far I am hitting religious roadblocks. We are having a ceremony and a reception, most likely in New Orleans, and want a celebration, not just a quick trip to the courthouse. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Tags: Marriage, Wedding

Views: 50

Replies to This Discussion

Cant you hire a justice of the peace to preform the ceremony?
You can get a friend or family member "ordained" as a JP to marry you. Ask at town hall, where you get your marriage license, what the procedure is.
Two of my friends are having a godless wedding next month. I'll update you on how it all works out.
Thanks Randall - I look forward to it!
My friends' wedding went very well. Everyone appreciated the personal touch of having an officiant who was truly close to the couple.

If you have a friend who would be willing and able to officiate, I would recommend that path.

I'm ordained by the Universal Life Church, but there are other options out there.

The wedding I performed was in Georgia, which makes things very easy for the officiant. I didn't have to register with any government body or anything like that. I just performed the ceremony, filled out the officiant section of the marriage license (listing my title as "Minister"), and returned it to the proper agency.

Louisiana makes it a little harder. The minister has to preregister with the parish clerk of court (or, in New Orleans, the health department). I do not know yet if any documentation substantiating one's status as a minister is required. If so, the Universal Life Church will provide that documentation for free.

I'm going to go through that preregistration process, to see what's involved and just in case I need to perform a wedding in Louisiana someday. I will report back on what is involved.

You can read more about marriage laws at the Universal Life Church's website.
Hi. I became an ordained minister on line. Temple of the Earth. There are a couple more sites like that and it's free. There are even secular wedding vows that you can use. It is my understanding that one just has to register with the clerk at the most. Seem like that would be violating the church/state separation though. I have never done one but would be happy to volunteer if you need someone. First one is free. I am of course an atheist and would conduct myself as such.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Atheist in FundyLand replied to Atheist in FundyLand's discussion Anyone else have trouble finding a compatible psychotherapist?
8 minutes ago
Larry replied to Larry's discussion YouTube Video: "How to Convert an Atheist"
9 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Atheist in FundyLand's discussion Anyone else have trouble finding a compatible psychotherapist?
10 minutes ago
12 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion Turns out that lawsuits have rules (Daily Kos) in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
15 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion Turns out that lawsuits have rules (Daily Kos) in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
15 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Experimental Ebola Serum May Be In Use On Americans in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
20 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Loren Miller's discussion Turns out that lawsuits have rules (Daily Kos) in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
33 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Experimental Ebola Serum May Be In Use On Americans in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
37 minutes ago
Pat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
57 minutes ago
Matt--Lukin replied to L. Alcorn's discussion Early Christianity
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service