I told someone I was an Introvert recently and guess what the response was?

Well, it was like this ... you can always change, you can become an Extrovert.

Oh great.

They obviously have no understanding of Introverts.

Anyone have this happen to them? What did you do?

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

Views: 191

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, social events have me wiped out. I am glad I stay away from those.

Same with me Kathy, although my parents understood because they were introverts also.

One exception I can remember is my High School graduation.  I didn't want to go because I hate pomp and ceremony.  Mother, however, pushed me into going.  I think it was because she was so proud of her children's accomplishments.

Glad you've gotten over the guilt!

I happen to be both. That is why I made this group. : )

I'm an introvert, and I see nothing wrong with being so.

Good deal Anthony - same here!

I remember someone telling me I'll never get anywhere in life if I'm shy.

Oh well, I can't be anyone other than me...

A person can't turn into an extrovert (and if I ever did suddenly feel extroverted, because of family history I'd immediately think it was a manic phase). Although I did stop being "painfully shy", mostly due to not being in middle school (and trying to disappear) anymore. Since most environments are not as horrible as middle school, and I feel more confident and better socially skilled (in my own, not extremely extroverted way) I don't feel afraid to speak like I did.

You can certainly change your behavior to appear more extroverted. I learned that skill. It won't change natural inclinations though.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Let's guess what Cardinal Law is doing right now...
50 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
54 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
55 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
56 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
59 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
1 hour ago
Luara posted a discussion
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
2 hours ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
2 hours ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service