http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

One of the 122 questions:

105. What is your generic term for a sweetened carbonated beverage?
     a. soda (52.97%)
     b. pop (25.08%)
     c. coke (12.38%)
     d. tonic (0.67%) / e. soft drink (5.89%) / f. lemonade (0.01%) / g. cocola (0.29%) / h. fizzy drink (0.14%) / i. dope (0.03%) / j. other (2.55%)      (10669 respondents)

In another point of contention, three-quarters of respondents rhyme "aunt" with "ant", 12% use the vowels from "ah" or "caught", and a significant minority use different vowels for the general concept of an aunt and for referring to a specific person ("Aunt Sally").

A few other random questions from there:

65.What do you call the insect that flies around in the summer and has a rear section that glows in the dark?

95.What is "the City"?

121.What word do you use for gawking at someone in a lustful way?

[see them all]

Tags: coke, dialect, language, maps, pop, regional, results, soda, soft drink, survey, More…usage

Views: 116

Replies to This Discussion

A friend adopted the "ahnt" pronunciation to emphasize that his female relatives are not the insects that eat your food at picnics.

(Pic: dimus62 at flickr)

Interesting, thanks GrinninCat! After browsing about 20, I feel as if I'm firmly pinned to Eastern Pa.

I grew up on the West Coast, but my introduction to the long sandwich with cold cuts, lettuce, and so on (preferably on a hearty Amoroso's roll) was in Philadelphia, so it's called a hoagie. (Don't ask me where the word comes from!)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service