Post your favorite quotes on language here. If you don’t have any to post, select “follow” anyhow so that you can be notified when others post.

This should fun!

Tags: English, grammar, language, quotes, speech, words

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

Silence is the ultimate weapon of power. -Charles de Gaulle
Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare The truth thou hast, that all may share; Be bold, proclaim it everywhere: They only live who dare. -Voltaire
"Das Einzige, was uns Österreicher und die Deutschen trennt, ist unsere gemeinsame Sprache!"
The only thing, that keeps Germans and Austrians apart, is our mutual (common) language !
- Karl Kraus-
"Language is like a fisherman´s net; when words are the knots, the real meaning of our thoughts are the spaces between them..."
-me, fairly stoned-
That's a rather clever analogy. You should get stoned more often ;-)
Interesting. But can we have thoughts without words?
I'm sure my dog sometimes thought he was smarter than I.
...smarter than me.
He thought he was smarter than me.

Isn't that correct? He is the subject, me is the object.

I suppose you could say He thought we was smarter than I was, but that doesn't seem right to me.
I remember that conversation, just not all the rules. So me should be used when it is the object of the preposition, or the object of a transitive verb?

Hand that book to me.

He sat beside me.

He gave me a gift.
Are the words "he was smarter" an adverbial phrase modifying the verb "thought?"
...smarter than me.

Hehe. That's what I was going to write, actually, but it's the LINGUAPHILES group, I remembered that conversation, and I wondered if someone would notice and react. :P

The point was about my dog having wordless thoughts, anyway.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service