It can be pretty funny when people screw up in speech or writing. Misunderestimating is one of those words that will be go down in the history books, never to be forgotten. (I will admit that I don’t know if misunderestimating originated as a joke or as an actual error of speech, though I suspect the latter.)

Sometimes word combinations or apparent errors are nothing more than deliberate forms of hyperbole, or an attempt to play with language: fantabulous, from fantastic + fabulous, or ginormous, from gigantic + enormous, or manifestiny, from manifest + destiny. Those don’t bother me at all if used as they were intended.

Some errors can just be obnoxious though. Conversated comes to mind, as in “I conversated with her last night about that.” Ughh, that makes my skin crawl.

What other interesting, funny, or obnoxious errors have you come across? I don’t mean common errors, such as acrosst or nucular, but errors that are really unique, and stand out in some way.

Tags: language, usage, vocabulary, word errors, words

Views: 29

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, I just remembered a few more: kewl (instead of cool), irregardless, and a whole nuther (which I will admit I am inclined to use in speech at times, when I am aiming for hyperbole).
Yes, there are entire books dedicated to Bushisms.

That's a good one. That reminds me of a post that someone put in a blog. Apparently a student had turned in a paper and used the word ludacris (like the rapper) instead of ludicrous.

In college, a friend thought the saying "It's a dog-eat-dog world!" was actually "It's a doggy-dog world."
Objectifigration - seen only once. Btw, I've seen both objective and objectible used for objectable.

Trendous and trendousness for trendy and trendiness, always by the same usenet poster (tremendously trendy?).

Stupendipitously - seen at least twice, by unrelated persons. Never figured this one out (stupid or stupendous + serendipitously?)

Definately for definitely - quite common.

Christ-crossing - A pun of mine (so easy I'm certainly not its first inventor), I'm postive I've seen it at least used once with no pun intended (criss-crossing).

Cushiously for cautiously.
I'm postive

Duh! Indeed, I'm in a postive mood at the moment, and I'm not going to correct this one. ;-)
"All things considerated"

Enfrailed for enthralled

Dental lion tree - it took me a long while to figure this one out: dandelion tree.

Pollucinate or pollucination - I guess cultivating magic mushroom may prove hazardous.

"A sheep on the shoulder" - guess it's not as bad as having a ship on the shoulder.
"All things considerated"

That's great.
I've also seen it spelled "all things considerate".

No idea about stupendipitously? I wish I could make sense out of this one. Does this construct bear special meaning to an English native speaker, or is it actually a real word?
Stupendipitously is not a 'real' word, and as a native speaker of English I'm not quite sure what is meant by the word. My guess that it is stupendously + serendipitous, so the intended meaning is probably stupendously serendipitous. Given that a serendipitous event is, by its very nature, a surprising event, calling an event stupendously serendipitous or stupendipitous seems gratuitous and hyperbolic.
Stupid and serendipitous, most likelily. Yes, likelily. I say that in real life. My rigid-rule-having-and-using aside, it could be being used to mean that whatever it's describing was/is both stupid and serendipitous.
Today I came across manualfesto, from the book Cook Food: A Manualfesto for Easy, Healthy, Local Eating.
A couple days ago, I've seen a blogger refer to Chinese social policies as chinanigans.
I like that. A very nice pun.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service