I was led here from a forum where I said I thought discussing this in a group would be better and this seems to be the most appropriate group.

I use: "Counting my blessings" and "grace" and possibly other words that come our of religious language. It would be nice to have a list of non-religious alternatives that would be understood by the general public. Maybe that's not necessary. I couldn't find anything like that online. What do you think?

Tags: alternative, cliches, expressions, language, nomenclature, religious, words

Views: 81

Replies to This Discussion

Or say nothing. Why do you even have to say something when someone else is blowing snot everywhere? The polite thing would probably be to excuse ourselves when we sneeze. ;)

I think of terms like "god send" and "oh my god" could really refer to any god, not necessarily the Christian one. If pressed I'd probably say Ra or Thor was the god I was referring to; when they're all fictional it doesn't really matter. I guess I think of religious/spiritual colloquialisms (ie. "God damn it!") as being on par with literary colloquialisms (ie. "What doesn't kill me will make me stronger").

i do believe i only use oh my god or omg. if someone sneezes i look the other way to let them clean it up.  i also may use damn. but i think thats about it. ive never said bless you, my grossmutter said gesundheight, but i never did.  when im in a game where bad language is not cool, i use shoot, heck, or some such word.

The ones that bothered me the worst when I lived in Nebraska were "That's a Christian thing to do" which clearly implies that those of us who aren't Christian don't do good things, and "He jewed me down" which clearly says that Jews habitually cheat in business, which of course is just a discriminatory stereotype.

But I do try to avoid religiously based terms when I speak -- you can make up phrases as you wish -- who cares if no one else uses them, although you WILL get funny looks! It's like a former student of mine, when he wanted to swear, would say "bleistiffspitzer", which because of the "sh" sounds seems pretty strong, but only means "pencil sharpener" in German. I change mine all the time, but my latest is "Oh, my flank steak!" I kind of enjoy the silliness! :-)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's photo
5 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
22 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
24 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Climate Concerns
30 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
32 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's photo
39 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
43 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
43 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Joe's discussion New Rule: Students Who Have a Same-Sex Wedding Can’t Be Mad When Their Christian Schools Expel Them For It in the group Atheist News
45 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
47 minutes ago
Dan D updated their profile
49 minutes ago
James M. Martin posted discussions
59 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service