All Discussions Tagged 'writing' (12)

← Back to LINGUAPHILES & SESQUIPEDALIANS
Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Txtng and the future of English

Prof. Anne Curzan reassures us that the sky is not falling -- that textspeak is not bringing chaos and anarchy to the language -- and discu…

Started by Grinning Cat

0 Mar 3, 2013

Human brain isn’t so special, neurobiologist says

Human brain isn’t so special, neurobiologist saysMark Changizi says there’s no “special sauce” in the human brain. Instead, he argues that…

Started by A Former Member

2 Sep 24, 2011
Reply by A Former Member

How Reading Rewires the Brain

How Reading Rewires the Brain Written language poses a puzzle for neuroscientists. Unlocking the meaning in a string of symbols requires…

0 Nov 17, 2010

The Writer Who Couldn't Read

The Writer Who Couldn't Read"In January of 2002," writes the neuroscientist Oliver Sacks, "I received a letter from Howard Engel, a Canadia…

1 Jun 21, 2010
Reply by Loren Miller

Member Survey: What languages can you speak, write, or read?

What languages can you speak, write, or read? I only know English, though I did take a little French in junior high school, and some Spani…

113 May 22, 2010
Reply by Keziah Roy

Aplomb

aplomb [uh-plom, uh-pluhm] –noun 1. imperturbable self-possession, poise, or assurance. 2. the perpendicular, or vertical, position.

1 Aug 30, 2009
Reply by Stephen Moore

Recondite

Recondite [rek-uhn-dahyt, ri-kon-dahyt] –adjective 1. dealing with very profound, difficult, or abstruse subject matter: a recondite trea…

0 Aug 22, 2009

My input on commas

Jennifer posted this discussion thread on commas last week. I responded to that discussion, but giving it more thought this weekend, I bega…

10 Aug 18, 2009
Reply by A Former Member

Transmogrify

transmogrify [trans-mog-ruh-fahy, tranz-] –verb to change in appearance or form, esp. strangely or grotesquely; transform. Transmogrifi…

0 Aug 14, 2009

Native Language Revitalization Campaign

Native Language Revitalization Campaign The problem Misguided governmental policies that existed through the 1950s have led to the dest…

5 Aug 12, 2009
Reply by A Former Member

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service