All Discussions Tagged 'words' (45)

← Back to LINGUAPHILES & SESQUIPEDALIANS
Discussions Replies Latest Activity

One Letter Words, a Dictionary

Compiler Craig Conley says, "In Shakespeare's time, R was called littera canina, 'the dog's letter', because it sounded like a dog's growl.…

Started by Tom Sarbeck

0 Aug 7

Alternatives to Christian language?

I was led here from a forum where I said I thought discussing this in a group would be better and this seems to be the most appropriate gro…

Started by UUMom

16 Apr 7, 2012
Reply by Sarah Walton

The Secret Life of Pronouns

Think on KERAWhat can be gleaned about a person by the words they choose in conversations, emails and text messages? We’ll find out this ho…

Started by A Former Member

1 Sep 7, 2011
Reply by A Former Member

The Cultural Evolution of Words and Other Thinking Tools

A short and interesting paper by Daniel Dennett. PDF attached.  - Dallas   The Cultural Evolution of Words and Other Thinking Tools The eme…

2 Jul 14, 2011
Reply by A Former Member

How Reading Rewires the Brain

How Reading Rewires the Brain Written language poses a puzzle for neuroscientists. Unlocking the meaning in a string of symbols requires…

0 Nov 17, 2010

The Big Book of Beastly Mispronunciations, by Charles Harrington Elster

This is an enjoyable book to read, and a good reference book to have handy. I didn't read all the entries, as some are quite long, but i…

0 Oct 26, 2010

Oxford American Dictionary’s Latest Entries

Oxford American Dictionary’s Latest Entries It’s a special day and it comes but once a year. For word-nerds, it beats the heck out of birth…

0 Sep 28, 2010

Making Words

To the Best of Our Knowlege | Making Words   There's something magical about making words. Ask any parent what their baby's first word was.…

0 Aug 2, 2010

Quotes on Language

Post your favorite quotes on language here. If you don’t have any to post, select “follow” anyhow so that you can be notified when others p…

58 Jul 31, 2010
Reply by Little Name Atheist

Member Survey: What languages can you speak, write, or read?

What languages can you speak, write, or read? I only know English, though I did take a little French in junior high school, and some Spani…

113 May 22, 2010
Reply by Keziah Roy

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service