All Discussions Tagged 'linguistics' (10)

← Back to LINGUAPHILES & SESQUIPEDALIANS
Discussions Replies Latest Activity

A Man of Many Words

Another interesting book to add to the list. -- Dallas A Man of Many Words For more than 150 years, writers of all stripes have relied on…

Started by A Former Member

0 May 7, 2013

Txtng and the future of English

Prof. Anne Curzan reassures us that the sky is not falling -- that textspeak is not bringing chaos and anarchy to the language -- and discu…

Started by Grinning Cat

0 Mar 3, 2013

From Grunting To Gabbing: Why Humans Can Talk

From Grunting To Gabbing: Why Humans Can Talk Most of us do it every day without even thinking about it, yet talking is a uniquely human a…

2 May 25, 2011
Reply by A Former Member

Speaking in Tongues: The History of Language

I watched this last week. It was an interesting 5-part series, but only a cursury introduction to language and linguistic theory. Much of t…

0 Dec 29, 2010

Lost in Translation (Different Article, Same Title)

I have posted an article with this same title before, but this is a different one, not a repeat.  - DG Lost in TranslationWe don’t shape la…

0 Oct 11, 2010

Undocumented language found hidden in India

Undocumented language found hidden in India WASHINGTON – A "hidden" language spoken by only about 1,000 people has been discovered in the r…

2 Oct 9, 2010
Reply by A Former Member

Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation “The single most notable characteristic of English,” writes Bill Bryson, “is its deceptive complexity.” As native speak…

1 Sep 10, 2010
Reply by Prog Rock Girl

The Story of Human Language

Corrected/altered on 12.21.09. This series of 36 lectures on the history of human language was first mentioned on this site by Julie Ann S…

4 Dec 21, 2009
Reply by A Former Member

Word learning and lexical development across the lifespan (PTotRS Theme Issue)

Thought you'd be interested: The Royal Society just published a host (11) of new articles on language acquisition and learning. I haven't…

Started by Jaume

1 Dec 20, 2009
Reply by A Former Member

Talking Right: How Conservatives Turned Liberalism into a Tax-Raising, Latte-Drinking, Sushi-Eating, Volvo-Driving, New York Times-Reading, Body-Piercing, Hollywood-Loving, Left-Wing Freak Show

This is an enjoyable book that shows how word choice--how we talk about things--can really affect perception and understanding. I highly re…

5 Aug 12, 2009
Reply by Adriana Heguy

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service