Atheist Nexus Logo

All Discussions Tagged 'language' (11)

← Back to LINGUAPHILES & SESQUIPEDALIANS
Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Emotionally loaded vowels

We speak as we feel, we feel as we speak Assume one cartoon character is always happy and another usually not. Which character is happy, Ko…

Started by Ruth Anthony-Gardner

1 Aug 1, 2014
Reply by Grinning Cat

Soda? Pop? Coke? and over 100 other dialect variations (survey results and maps)

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html One of the 122 questions: 105. What is your generic term for a sweetened carbonated b…

Started by Grinning Cat

3 Mar 10, 2013
Reply by Grinning Cat

Rape culture embedded in language

Discussion of the underlying cause of India's rape culture, and that of mysogenist violence against women worldwide, underlies the role of…

1 Mar 8, 2013
Reply by Grinning Cat

Txtng and the future of English

Prof. Anne Curzan reassures us that the sky is not falling -- that textspeak is not bringing chaos and anarchy to the language -- and discu…

Started by Grinning Cat

0 Mar 3, 2013

Two layers of language

How Human Language Could Have Evolved from Birdsong: Researchers Propose New Theory On Deep Roots of Human Speech ... human language is a g…

0 Feb 22, 2013

Alternatives to Christian language?

I was led here from a forum where I said I thought discussing this in a group would be better and this seems to be the most appropriate gro…

Started by UUMom

16 Apr 7, 2012
Reply by Sarah Walton

There's no such thing as a synonym!

There is a character from the book Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins that is fond of declaring that there is no such thing as a synonym. I'd…

Started by Eric P. Metze

17 Oct 8, 2009
Reply by Glenn Sogge

Right-wingers and the word Liberal

If there's one thing I haaate about the right-wing, it's their oversimplification of things. We hear things like, "We mysteriously evolved…

Started by Eric P. Metze

17 Oct 8, 2009
Reply by Stephen Moore

Encores, portmanteaus and double entendre

These words all share a French origin, but did you know French people use other words to convey the meaning these have acquired in English?…

Started by Jaume

2 Sep 4, 2009
Reply by Jaume

Mumbo jumbo

Mumbo jumbo [mʌmbəʊˈdʒʌmbəʊ] - noun Etymology: probably from Mandinka maamajomboo (mask; masked dancer). 1. Any object of superstition;…

Started by Jaume

6 Sep 3, 2009
Reply by Stephen Moore

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service