I had a discussion about the legalization of marijuana, and the person reminded me that marijuana is actually rather easy to grow, especially because once you buy a pack of seed, you no longer need to buy any more seeds, making it very hard to tax if legalization of personal growth happened.

So he and I formulated a possible idea specifically for growing: a growers license.

Restrictions on the license would be simple:

a) You do not have to have a reason to get the license. If it's for medical purposes, you note that only to get a discount.

b) The license itself is $10, but you also have to pay to grow a certain amount of plants. We came up $5 for every 5 plants or something like that (for a medical license, it'd be, like, maybe $3 for every 5 plants).
c) You must be at least 18 for the license. (My friend thought that you should have to get parental permission [from 18] until you turn 21, but I'm not so sure about this, especially since some 18-year-olds still declare independence these days, so it would suck if they, no longer being dependent on or living with their parents, still had to get permission to get a growers license.)

This would ensure the ability to tax the growing of marijuana, because what you're paying for the license and the number of plants you can grow would be that tax.

Obviously, there would have to be rules just to ensure societal pressures are met. This is what we came up with:

You suffer consequences for the following:

-Driving while stoned (it's a hell of a lot safer than driving drunk [I have yet to hear about a driving accident caused by marijuana], but it's still a hell of a lot more dangerous than driving sober)

-Missing a significant amount of time of work or school for no obvious reasons (that is, you miss something like two weeks straight and the best excuse you have is a cold)

These are the only two we thought of, really.

There's a 4-strike system:

1st offense: A week's suspension on the license

2nd offense: A month's suspension on the license and a fine

3rd offense: A year's suspension on the license and a larger fine

4th offense: Marijuana is now fully illegal for the offender; being caught with it after this would result in all the same punishments marijuana users deal with now

I should note that major companies could still sell their "marijuana cigarettes", even though, admittedly, being able to grow would cut their business on this.

For me, I'd rather grow my own then purchase hat comes from Big tobacco, so this is something I would not only be interested in, but if this license (or something similar) ever did come out, I would be one of the first to purchase it.

But what do y'all think? Any other offense you could imagine falling under the 4-strike system? Would you purchase the license? Is it too restrictive? Let me know your thoughts.

Tags: growing, license, marijuana

Views: 60

Replies to This Discussion

I would compare it to home-brewed wine or beer in a way

I could be mistaken, but I think that is illegal.

Exactly, that is why I also said that a person who can or is growing can supply others. but I agree all things should go back to the trading system of Native American days, I have blankets you need blankets, you have cow I need cow, we will trade evenly, then we both have what we need............ the government has to have there hand it in somehow or it will never get legalized.

I would not have a problem with a growing license (are there growing licenses for tobacco?). It's still a huge step in the right direction.

As for the offenses: first offense seems to be a slap on the wrist and wouldn't accomplisy much. Missing a lot of school or work I could see getting the license revoked temporarily or permanently, but other than that it's that person's problem. Driving while intoxicated is a more serious thing and should be treated the same as a DUI. The only problem with that is detection is more difficult than alcohol b/c THC stays in the body longer.

Is the fact that it's easy to grow (and therefore harder to tax or make profits from) a block to its legalization? Tomatoes are easy to grow too, but plenty of people still buy them at the store! I would think that marijuana would be the same way. I'm not so sure it's that easy either--my dad used to grow it and it seemed pretty complicated!

Note well "abundantly". You can grow enough cannabis for a few people in a small closet. To grow enough tomatoes for a few people requires you be rich enough to own some land. Also, the hit the capitalist class takes in their profits for you growing your tomatoes is nothing in comparison to what they take from cannabis being legalized. If they could make it illegal to grow your own tomatoes they would. Their power over the superstructure of society is mighty, but it's not almighty.

Thats not true, i grow 6 tomato plants in my garden every summer and have enough tomatoes for my family of 5, my parents, my in-laws, and my neighbors.

In your garden. And it's legal. Imagine if tomatoes were illegal and you had to grow them out of your closet or somewhere else to hide the fact that you're growing them?

I think I must have misunderstood what you were saying, I think I understand now though. I think that people should be able to grow it in their own homes or on their own property.

I would not have a problem with a growing license (are there growing licenses for tobacco?). It's still a huge step in the right direction.

I don't think tobacco can be grown for personal use, but I could be wrong. I do know that it is notoriously hard to grow, and requires a field, lots of seeds and work and so on. Because of that, it is extremely easy to tax.

As for the offenses: first offense seems to be a slap on the wrist and wouldn't accomplisy much. Missing a lot of school or work I could see getting the license revoked temporarily or permanently, but other than that it's that person's problem. Driving while intoxicated is a more serious thing and should be treated the same as a DUI. The only problem with that is detection is more difficult than alcohol b/c THC stays in the body longer.

Yeah, first offense is a slap on the wrist, but in most cases, the first offense usually is (except, of course, for murder, rape, DUIs, etc).

I also think you're right about driving stoned. Treat it the same as driving drunk. And the way they test it should be similar (though more portable) to the way they test for it now in drug clinics. This means you'll have to pee in public, which I would think would be a deterrent for some people (definitely for me!).

Is the fact that it's easy to grow (and therefore harder to tax or make profits from) a block to its legalization? Tomatoes are easy to grow too, but plenty of people still buy them at the store! I would think that marijuana would be the same way. I'm not so sure it's that easy either--my dad used to grow it and it seemed pretty complicated!

Actually, tomatoes may be easy to grow, but as Sendero pointed out, they are still not as easy as marijuana. I think marijuana may be the only cash crop in the world that you can grow abundantly out of a closet. You could grow, in your closet, enough marijuana to last months, if not years.

In fact, with just 5 feminized seeds, you could be set to grow not just marijuana, but specifically the marijuana you smoke (the feminine plant), for a number of years.

If you did somehow manage to grow tomatoes in a closet, you might produce enough for a couple dinners at a time... and they don't grow anywhere near as fast.

Growing marijuana only seems complicated because it's illegal. Setting up hidden rooms so you don't get caught can be very inconvenient. If it were legalized for personal growth and use, all you'd have to do is plant some seed in the right soul near a spot that gets a good amount of sunlight. If you manage to get feminized seeds, you don't have to worry about male plants at all, which means you don't have to worry about breeding. The only downside to getting feminized seeds is that you'll only grow the strand you bought. You won't be able to make variations. However, it's be extremely easy and would require only a small amount of work to keep the plants healthy.

Even if you don't get feminized seeds, it is still easier to grow and maintain than most (if not all) other cash crops, and only becomes more difficult as you become more creative in what you grow. That's the other thing about marijuana... it's very easy to make hybrids and even create your own strains.

Here's another way to think about: supposedly, marijuana makes you lazy. But most people I know who smoke pot also grow it. If it's so hard to grow, then why do supposedly lazy pot-smokers grow it?

Is there any data available about the ratio of pot smokers who grow pot vs those who buy from someone else? Among the people I know, more of them buy it, some have tried out planting a little but didn't get very far with it.

I don't believe it about potheads being lazy, slackers, etc. Not only do a lot of them find lots of creative ways to make paraphenalia and use pot in recipes and everything, but also there are lots of people who disprove the stereotype.

The thing about a DUI piss test is that it could show up positive a week or so later. There is now a spit test which only detects back to one or 2 days, or even as little as a few hours...if there is something that can detect THC intoxication instead of just its general presence in the body that would be better, but even detecting alcohol intoxication is a "strict liability" crime (someone can be sober because of their weight/tolerance level/etc but if the blood alcohol level shows up too high they still get a DUI).

Is there any data available about the ratio of pot smokers who grow pot vs those who buy from someone else? Among the people I know, more of them buy it, some have tried out planting a little but didn't get very far with it.

No clue. That would definitely be an interesting study. I'm usually careful to emphasize that I'm speaking purely from my limited experience, but I didn't this time and for that I'm sorry. But both the users and the sellers prefer growing their own. I even notice that seller actually sell seeds as well as pot itself in my area now. Apparently there is actually a demand for seeds.

I don't believe it about potheads being lazy, slackers, etc. Not only do a lot of them find lots of creative ways to make paraphenalia and use pot in recipes and everything, but also there are lots of people who disprove the stereotype.

I don't, either. I'm convinced the laziness comes first, and that if you aren't lazy, pot is not going to make you lazy (on the flip side, if you're already lazy, smoking pot is just adding another bad habit). I have only ever met one person who actually fits the stereotype. I actually know someone who's studying to be a theoretical physicist who uses pot. And what about Carl Sagan?

The thing about a DUI piss test is that it could show up positive a week or so later. There is now a spit test which only detects back to one or 2 days, or even as little as a few hours...if there is something that can detect THC intoxication instead of just its general presence in the body that would be better, but even detecting alcohol intoxication is a "strict liability" crime (someone can be sober because of their weight/tolerance level/etc but if the blood alcohol level shows up too high they still get a DUI).

This is true. But I think it's safe to say that if you're on the highway and can barely make it up up to 35 MPH, you're either too old to be driving or too intoxicated... or both...

I don't believe it about potheads being lazy, slackers, etc. 

Much of that comes from the strain of dope being used. Marijuana contains over 200 Alkaloids besides THC, few of them have been studied. Some strains are energizing, some stimulate a contemplative state or a creative/inventive one, some are giggle weed that make your thumb the funniest thing around – even the word “thumb”causes paroxysms of chortling, and some produce a lay back, “I'm at one with my couch”, root vegetable state

I've been using cannabis since age 8 (I'm 33 now) and am now a medical cannabis user. I'm the last person anyone could call lazy. For one, I haven't owned a car as an adult for moral reasons. Anyways, the main reason people view people who use cannabis to be lazy is because this is the view that the capitalist class wants people to have of cannabis users. Take it from someone who regularly smokes/vapes many different strains of cannabis, there's nowhere near the amount of difference between strains as people make it out to be.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service