Hi.

I have been dealing with very tedious, ongoing physical problems and pain and I still hear a "voice" that says, "God is punishing you and asking you to repent by giving you more pain and suffering."

Seems like my worst pains and problems seem to occur after a pleasurable time, such as making love with my companion or a trip to the beach.

My atheist roommate (not my bf) patiently tells me that this is not happening. He says there are coincidences. I was brainwashed over and over again, as an adult and as a child by fundamentalists and "believers" and people in 12 step programs that "God is teaching lessons".

I went to this meeting today and someone there said, "Pain cleanses the body." OMG (goodness)!

I wonder if there are online atheist meeting chats because so far I can only find available online AA-type groups and I need to get away from them!

I can't afford any more reinforcement like this right now.

I understand that my suffering is not about a deity hurting me.

But the echoes of the fundamentalist training are so loud right now.

Jencarlene

Views: 68

Replies to This Discussion

Can I get an amen in here? lol. I agree.
I am beginning to agree with you, Linda.

I need to be around people who support a thinker, not a cave-woman, barefoot and pregnant shell of a person that so many ppl expect me to be.

Jencarlene
did my reply go thru?

I got an error message.

Jencarlene
A GREAT BIG *ATHEIST* AMEN!

LMAO

ty, Leigh.

Jencarlene
You said "I need to be around people who support a thinker, not a cave-woman, barefoot and pregnant shell of a person that so many ppl expect me to be"

Cave-woman lol. Funny.

Get this. An old friend of mine contacted me on Facebook and unfortunately I learned that she is now a fundamentalist Christian. On her profile where it says "interests" she has "being a help meet to my husband".

I mentioned it to my mother and my mother said what in the world is a help meet. I told her it was a biblical term. I remembered from back when I used to be religious. Sounds like cave-man talk. Me husband - you help meet lol.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Michael Penn commented on Deidre's blog post A Change Is Gonna Come...
6 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
20 minutes ago
Deidre commented on Deidre's blog post A Change Is Gonna Come...
23 minutes ago
Deidre posted a status
"Almost Friday.........cannot wait! Happy Halloween-eve :) Tonight is 'devil's night' I believe?"
1 hour ago
Pat replied to jay H's discussion Free speech (right)
1 hour ago
Pat commented on Joan Denoo's blog post My Grandfather, Alphonse Fulgentino Jules Denoo
1 hour ago
Profile IconFormer Pastor, kavitha, Jim Reynolds and 6 more joined Atheist Nexus
1 hour ago
booklover replied to jay H's discussion Free speech (right)
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
1 hour ago
Randall Smith commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Randall Smith commented on Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s group Godless in the garden
2 hours ago
Susan Stanko replied to C.L.A.W.S.'s discussion Stem Cell Research & MS in the group Atheists who love Science!
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service