Hi - I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member. I am a 32 y/o male and a lucky husband (10 yrs.) and proud father of an 11 mo. old daughter. I was raised in a fundy household with fundy parents who loved to speak in tongues, pray for healing, and dance for joy to the lord! They were also children's pastors who traveled, saving little guilty souls! (They were actually pretty good at it). Praying for healing is something they did a lot...a whole lot, because I have a genetic lung disease called cystic fibrosis. I have spent years of my life in the hospital (I also had cancer when I was a kid) going in for weeks at a time multiple times a year. Too bad the prayers and all the faith never worked. When I was younger I was mad at God, but as I got older I realized there is no god...no god who hates me and is punishing me, no god who will send me to hell for whatever I did to deserve such pain, no god who sends demons to torture me with sickness (this is the foolishness I was taught as a child!). I am MUCH happier now. I never thought I would live so long and have a family, and I enjoy the time I have with them more than anything! My wife's family are also super christian. Even though my life has lost a lot of her faith, she is kinda a diest now and still likes to think that there is a happy afterlife somehow. I can hardly blame her..it is hard to think about losing your spouse and never seeing her again. Religion has not been a huge issue with us, but now that we have a daughter I know it will caome up more - esp. with her super Jesusy grandparents! I am glad to find a group where I can get some advice and friendship over the years!

Views: 4

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chris - welcome. My wife sounds similar to yours...she has become a Fideist. Shel believes in a god because it makes here feel good. At least she admits it!

it is hard to think about losing your spouse and never seeing her again.

Same Harris said it well 'It is sad that we will die and lose all that we love'. But this is better to me than never having existed at all.

Come back often!
You have a great attitude, Chris. Congratulations on your deconversion and on your happy family life.
Welcome Chris. I suspect we will have the opportunity to learn much from you as well.

As for the issue of believing in a god because it makes you feel better...I honestly have no trouble with that. It's just when folks cling to the current, popular god ideals they drag along the dangerous stuff in the bargain. If someone wants to believe that there is a benevolent source out there that is going to make everything okay after you die...more power to them. Just don't let it develop into something that they're willing to fly planes into buildings over.
Nate,

Just don't let it develop into something that they're willing to fly planes into buildings over.

Isn't that the truth! All in all my spouse doesn't even think about it very much.
Hey now! Islamic Fundamentalists flying planes into buildings is not all a bad idea. It is a matter of re-directing their energies and focusing them on flying planes into cathedrals, mega churches and stadium type tent revivals.

There is a silver cloud in every lining...laughter

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Freethinker 31 commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Religion as Mental Disorder
3 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Question for All Who Read This Posting
4 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion John Jubinsky's DNA Testing Results in the group DNA Tested Nonbelievers
5 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 liked Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Religion as Mental Disorder
5 minutes ago
Pat replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
10 minutes ago
James M. Martin posted discussions
29 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
38 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion In the Middle East, Some Atheists Fake-Fast During Ramadan To Avoid Detection in the group Atheist News
39 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion "I Accepted Jesus and I'm Not Gay Anymore"
55 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Atheist Exile replied to Joe's discussion In the Middle East, Some Atheists Fake-Fast During Ramadan To Avoid Detection in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service