I think everyone likes ice cream. It is one of my favorite desserts, and now that I can’t eat my other favorite (cookies), I’ve been eating quite a bit of ice cream lately.

I love all kinds of ice cream: vanilla, mint-chocolate chip, cherry, butter-pecan, black walnut, coffee, and pistachio. You name it and I’ll eat it. About the only ice cream I dislike is chocolate. It is just too chalky for my taste.

This is my new all-time favorite: Fleur de Sel Caramel, made by Häagen-Dazs. OMG, it is so good! It is vanilla ice cream with caramel swirls, and chocolate-covered caramels sprinkled with sea salt. This stuff should be illegal! It is so yummy! You must try this if you haven’t already.

Almost anything Häagen-Dazs makes is good, but another one worthy of mention is their Pistachio ice cream. I’ve had Ben & Jerry’s Pistachio Pistachio, and I’ve had Talenti’s Pistachio Gelato. B&J’s is decent, and edible, but I was really disappointed with Talenti’s. However, HD's is the best. It has a wonderful fresh-milk taste to it that I’ve never noticed in any other ice cream.

The Häagen-Dazs FIVE series of ice creams are also spectacular. They only have five ingredients per recipe. Basic, simple ice cream.

I usually kind of turn my nose up to most Ben & Jerry’s, as it will have something I either can’t have (cookies/gluten), or something I don’t like, such as toffee or marshmallows. However, they do have one I really like: Crème Brulee. This deserves another OMG!, and it is better than HD's Crème Brulee version. This stuff is so fattening that a single serving has 25% of your RDA of fat. Approach with caution!

So what are your favorites, and why?

Tags: Ben & Jerry’s, Häagen-Dazs, dessert, food, ice cream

Views: 1482

Replies to This Discussion

I'd at least sample it.
On that note, I love Durian Fruit ice cream, but I also love Durian fruit all by itself.
The Durian fruit deserves it's own discussion, but for now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

I haven't thought about durian fruit in a long time. I've never tried it, but I am curious.
If there is an Asian grocery store near you, see if they have Durian Fruit cut, packaged, and frozen. It is extremely expensive to purchase fresh in the US and they are huge fruits. The smell when you open one fresh may turn you off, but if you buy it in small quantities frozen, all you are getting is the eatable custard and the smell is not as strong. They may also have Durian Fruit ice lollies (or popsicles in the US).
Edy's cookies and cream...yum!
Our jaboticaba tree is in flower now, so soon we'll have heaps of jaboticaba fruit. We pick it, wash it, crush it, boil it, and strain it, then add sugar and boil down into a thin syrup. This goes into our berry ice-cream recipe (above) to make Jaboticaba Ice Cream - it tastes like a rich raspberry ice-cream, without the annoying seeds - and made with our own fruit, local cream and local free range eggs it's an absolute organic treat.

Jaboticaba fruit has a skin something like red grapes, but thicker. Inside, the white fruit is the texture of a grape or lychee and tastes a bit like lychees. There is a fairly large seed inside. When cooked, the flavour and colour from the skin makes a juice, jam or jelly with a strong resemblance to raspberry or cooked plums.
I've never had Jaboticaba fruit. Sounds delicious! I will look around to see if a store near me sells it. It it a common Australian fruit? I've not made it to Australia yet, but it's on my list. I have a very good friend that has been able to go to Australia and New Zealand the past 2 years and will be there next month again for work. I'll tell him to look for Jaboticaba fruit.
It's not very common in Australia - mainly home grown in rural areas. I think it's native to Brazil, but not sure. I don't think it would last long enough to be sold commercially, although you might be able to find some jaboticaba jelly.
It does originate from Brazil. They make jaboticaba liquor there.
I've never heard of jaboticaba either. Thanks for introducing us to something new.
I'm in heaven, just hearing about this/your ice creams!
When I was a child, there was a gourmet ice cream shop that had pumpkin ice cream with crunchy graham cracker crust bits inside. It was seasonal and since my birthday is at the end of October, I was able to have it for my birthday every year. By far that was the best ice cream I have ever had, but I'm a pumpkin junkie. : )

I make the best pumpkin chocolate chip cookies in the universe. I shall have that recipe available in time for Halloween.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service