The food, not the game.

I have an overabundance of squash (both butternut and acorn). I can only take so much baked squash (even stuffed with apples/nuts, drizzled with honey, etc). Does anyone have any amazing recipes for what ELSE to do with squash? Specifically, some kind of yummy bread, or crisp, or a savory dish ... as long as it uses up my squash.

Thanks!

Tags: squash

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

Try this Indian recipe. I'll find the curried squash dish as well and post it here soon.

Acorn Squash Fritters

1 acorn squash (about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds)

for the batter:

2/3 cup chickpea flour
2/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup rice flour (or substitute equal parts all purpose flour and chickpea flour)
1 3/4 cups hot water (130 F.)
1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I use cayenne powder instead)
coarse salt (to taste)
peanut oil or corn oil (I use Canola oil)

directions:

scrub the acorn squash thoroughly until it is clean
place the squash on a cutting board and using a sharp knife, cut off it's stem end and then halve it.
scoop out the seeds and fibers from each half. scrape out to make sure all the fibers are removed.
cut into 1/8" thick slices, then cut each slice into 2" long pieces.

put all batter ingredients into food processor or blender and process until smooth. let the batter rest at room temperature for 30 minutes

heat the oil in a deep fryer or large frying pan until very hot. dip a few pieces of squash in the batter and then drop in the oil. fry the fritters, turning until they look light golden and crisp. remove with slotted spoon and dry on paper towels or newspaper. Continue with remaining slices of squash and eat. : )
Oooh now THAT sounds tasty ... I'll have to see if the local organic place has chickpea flour, although sometimes the local college-town EconoFoods surprises me. I've never purposely eaten the rind on an acorn squash, but i suppose as long as it's scrubbed like you say to do it'll turn out just fine. Thanks!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service