I'm sure we've all come across the odd Rx that requires either egg whites or egg yolks. I'm curious what do you do with the bits left over.

I'm rather loathe to throw away perfectly good food but I'm at a loss when I come across something that needs either whites or yolks.

What do you do when you come across that?

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Jack, you can freeze left over egg whites. Just chuck them into a zip-loc bag, mark on the bag how many whites are in there, then put it in the freezer. To use, just allow to come back to room temperature and they'll whip up as well as fresh ones. Yes, I was amazed, too!

The yolks you can use to make custard, if you're so inclined.
If you have a heap of left-over whites this is an amazing special occasion 'cake'.

Chocolate, Date and Hazelnut Torte

It's easy to make with incredibly impressive results.

The recipe's author, "Kookaburra", is a very close friend of mine, but just keep that to yourself, will ya? ;-)
It's always fun to take a crack at making good hollandaise....which is harder than it should be.

Also, making your aioli is fun and it can be used as a sandwich condiment with some zip, depending on how you make it.
It seems like everyone has ideas for the yolks, but not many for the whites, but egg whites are very versatile, though a lot of the things that use them can be a bit tricky. If you have nice dry weather, meringues are pretty easy and tasty. Take a look at this recipe. Also they can be used to lighten just about any baked good after whipped into a foam, for example I've heard they're good in pancakes, though I haven't actually tried it (it seems like too much work in the morning to whip egg whites).

Also, you can add egg whites (unwhipped) to cocktails, like the whiskey sour, or the pisco sour. And you can use whatever leftover egg parts to beef up an omelet/scrambled eggs/etc.
Here's my meringue recipe. The secret to a good meringue is to make them in the evening and then let them sit in the oven overnight before removing:

3 large egg whites (optional)
175 g white sugar (caster [fine granulated] sugar if available)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or essence)

Preheat oven to 150C (300F).
Grease two baking sheets/oven trays/cookie trays.
In a small mixing bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form (make sure your beaters are scrupulously clean and dry).
Gradually add sugar, beating between each addition.
When all the sugar is incorporated, add vanilla essence.
Continue beating until mixture is thick and glossy.
Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a medium sized fluted piping tube.
Pipe small meringues, about 5cm (2") high onto greased trays.(Alternatively, drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the trays).
Place trays on centre shelves of oven and immediately reduce temperature to 140C (275F).
Cook for one hour (1 1/4 hours if you prefer a completely dry center), but do not remove meringues from oven.
Turn off heat, do not open door, and leave overnight (or at least until the oven is completely cool).

Pavlova is another favourite egg-white dessert - this one from my Kiwi friend, Evie, is ridiculously simple and gives a fabulous marshmallow texture.
I use a lot of egg whites for breakfast in the morning, and sometimes I save the yolks and make a Oaxacan bread called Pan de Yema, which means "Bread of Yolk." I am sure there is an English recipe out there somewhere...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service