regional thanksgiving foods

Strangely, I discovered that my Thanksgiving weekend will be mostly Southern - Sweet Potato pie, Broccoli casserole, Cornbread dressing, Macaroni and Cheese.  How did I become Southern?  No idea.  I grew up in Illinois, and live in the Pacific Northwest.  But that's what we are having.  Looks like dinner rolls are more Northwestern, anyway.  My partner is having a turkey roll thing, I am vegetarian so will not.  

The family tradition that I grew up with was similar, but we usually had pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, bread dressing, dinner rolls, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole.  Growing up in Illinois, that doesnt fit the map either - but not much about Illinois does.  Cookies and cranberry relish?

On the other hand, for saturday I'm lobbying for some Chinese dumplings.  That is also our usual Christmas dinner

Views: 24

Replies to This Discussion

Our Thanksgiving dinner came straight out of my grandmother's recipe box: roast turkey stuffed with sausage dressing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and whipped cream ... with one exception ... this year's dinner was hours late because our family members are volunteer fire fighters and the wee hours of Thanksgiving morning a house fire call came in, the fire fully engaged before the firefighters could save the structure.  Thankfully, no injuries.  Nothing is left but the concrete foundation and a standing refrigerator towering into the sky.  

Sounds like you had a great time!  Sad about the house, but your fire fighting team did what they could.

We had turkey, ham, green beans, cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, gravy and rolls. Then dessert was lemon pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie.  Is this Southern?

Anyways - I didn't cook it -- I just ordered the meal from a BBQ place all hot and carved ready to go.

Looks like the ham and cornbread dressing are southern.  Also the pecan pie, although that one cuts a swath across the country's midsection all the way to canada!  The lemon pie is a new one for me for thanksgiving!  

My family always has a vegetarian Thanksgiving dinner.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service