A Jamaican friend made something close to this for me. I have yet to be able to make it taste just like he did, but this is close. I rarely measure anything exactly, I just put in what feels right. Don't be to afraid to put in a little more or less. Remember cooking is an artform...
JAMAICAN CURRIED GOAT (OR LAMB) (OR BEEF)
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1 lb. boneless goat mutton, lamb or beef stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes
2 lg. onions, peeled and finely sliced
2 tsp. ground allspice
2 c. stock, consomme or bouillon
1 tbsp. wine vinegar (I will usally put in more, sometimes almost doubling it.)
1 tsp. curry powder (again more won't hurt. Curry is not really that spicy)
Salt to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper (this is were you can up the heat of the dish)
1 bay leaf
2 dashes Tabasco sauce (I use Malindas hot sauce,Not sure if that can be found everywhere, this also will add some heat to the dish.)
3 tbsp. Corn starch
3 tbsp. water

Brown meat quickly in oil. Remove, then cook onion in oil until soft but not brown. Stir in curry powder, allspice. Cook stirring, for a few moments, then stir in stock, vinegar, salt and cayenne. Return meat to pan and simmer slowly for 2 hours. Add bay leaf about 30 minutes before the end. Then ticken using the corn starch and water. To thicken mix the corn starch with the water in a small bowl and stir until it is a thin past. Add this to the already boiling pot, stiring until it thickens.
Just before serving, stir in Tabasco sauce and serve surrounded by rice, dirty rice or red beans and rice. I like dirty rice the best. Serves 4.

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

This one is pretty easy to make. Perfecting it may take awhile... but that is part of the joy. The dish was made for me by Devon Evans, this is real Jamacan slum food what the locals eat.

If you like Jamacan, try North Afriacan....

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service