Bourbon is on of my favorite liquors, and Weller is the best bourbon there is, in my opinion. I can’t believe Weller does not have an official website, but it doesn’t seem that it does. I did find a little info from Wikipedia:

William Larue Weller (1825-1899) was a bourbon whiskey distilling pioneer in Kentucky. He is famous for being the first to produce straight bourbon using wheat instead of rye. His wheated bourbon was first bottled in 1849.

The Weller name is also used as a brand of wheated bourbon. The brand was originally owned by the Stitzel-Weller Distilling Company, which was sold several times after 1972. The brand is currently owned and produced by the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

There are several bourbons produced under the Weller name, all of which are wheated. They are:

· W.L. Weller Special Reserve - 7 years old, 90 proof
· W.L. Weller Antique - 7 years old, 107 proof
· W.L. Weller "Centennial" - 10 years old, 100 proof
· W.L. Weller 12 Year - 90 proof
· William Larue Weller - 12 years old, barrel proof, unfiltered

----------

A Manhattan is my favorite cocktail. If you’ve never tried one, you should.

Ingredients:
· 3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
· 2 1/2 oz Blended Bourbon (Weller)
· dash Angostura bitters
· 2 or 3 Ice cubes
· 1 Maraschino cherry
· 1 twist of Orange peel

Mixing instructions:
Combine the vermouth, whiskey, bitters and ice in a mixing glass. Stir gently, don't bruise the spirits and cloud the drink. Place the cherry in a chilled cocktail glass and strain the whiskey mixture over the cherry. Rub the cut edge of the orange peel over the rim of the glass and twist it over the drink to release the oils but don't drop it in.

----------

And a Sazerac isn’t bad either:

Ingredients:
Crushed ice
1 teaspoon absinthe, Pernod, or Herbsaint liqueur
Ice cubes
1 teaspoon sugar, 1 sugar cube, or 1 teaspoon Simple Syrup
1 1/2 ounces rye whiskey (Weller)
3 dashed Peychaud's Bitters
1 lemon peel twist

Mixing instructions:
Chill an old-fashioned glass by filling with crushed ice or refrigerate or freeze for at least 30 minutes.

Add the Herbsaint, absinthe, or Pernod to the glass; swirl it around to coat the entire sides and bottom of the glass. Discard the excess.

In a cocktail shaker, add 4 or 5 small ice cubes, sugar, rye whiskey, and bitters. Shake gently for about 30 seconds; strain into the prepared old-fashioned glass. Twist lemon peel over the drink and then place in the drink.

Tags: Weller Bourbon, bourbon, cocktails, liquour, spirits, whiskey

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

Laphroaig is indeed special. It seems there's no middle ground, either you'd die for it or hate it. Someone told me it tastes like medicine to him. Maybe it's an acquired taste. I never tried the Bruichladdich.
Bruichladdich XVII. Very nice.
Seems that Weller isn't available in Pennsylvania, Dallas.
Sorry to hear that. You're missing out.

I wonder if you can special order it, or buy it online? Is it legal to buy booze over the internet and have it shipped? Probably not, I suppose.

Try requesting it. In Texas, tequila is everywhere, but I've heard from some people that they can't find it in their state. Probably just not considered marketable.
Pennsylvania has some of the most bizarre liquor control laws in the country. But I'll find my way to some Weller. Thanks for turning us on to it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service