Bourbon is on of my favorite liquors, and Weller is the best bourbon there is, in my opinion. I can’t believe Weller does not have an official website, but it doesn’t seem that it does. I did find a little info from Wikipedia:

William Larue Weller (1825-1899) was a bourbon whiskey distilling pioneer in Kentucky. He is famous for being the first to produce straight bourbon using wheat instead of rye. His wheated bourbon was first bottled in 1849.

The Weller name is also used as a brand of wheated bourbon. The brand was originally owned by the Stitzel-Weller Distilling Company, which was sold several times after 1972. The brand is currently owned and produced by the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

There are several bourbons produced under the Weller name, all of which are wheated. They are:

· W.L. Weller Special Reserve - 7 years old, 90 proof
· W.L. Weller Antique - 7 years old, 107 proof
· W.L. Weller "Centennial" - 10 years old, 100 proof
· W.L. Weller 12 Year - 90 proof
· William Larue Weller - 12 years old, barrel proof, unfiltered

----------

A Manhattan is my favorite cocktail. If you’ve never tried one, you should.

Ingredients:
· 3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
· 2 1/2 oz Blended Bourbon (Weller)
· dash Angostura bitters
· 2 or 3 Ice cubes
· 1 Maraschino cherry
· 1 twist of Orange peel

Mixing instructions:
Combine the vermouth, whiskey, bitters and ice in a mixing glass. Stir gently, don't bruise the spirits and cloud the drink. Place the cherry in a chilled cocktail glass and strain the whiskey mixture over the cherry. Rub the cut edge of the orange peel over the rim of the glass and twist it over the drink to release the oils but don't drop it in.

----------

And a Sazerac isn’t bad either:

Ingredients:
Crushed ice
1 teaspoon absinthe, Pernod, or Herbsaint liqueur
Ice cubes
1 teaspoon sugar, 1 sugar cube, or 1 teaspoon Simple Syrup
1 1/2 ounces rye whiskey (Weller)
3 dashed Peychaud's Bitters
1 lemon peel twist

Mixing instructions:
Chill an old-fashioned glass by filling with crushed ice or refrigerate or freeze for at least 30 minutes.

Add the Herbsaint, absinthe, or Pernod to the glass; swirl it around to coat the entire sides and bottom of the glass. Discard the excess.

In a cocktail shaker, add 4 or 5 small ice cubes, sugar, rye whiskey, and bitters. Shake gently for about 30 seconds; strain into the prepared old-fashioned glass. Twist lemon peel over the drink and then place in the drink.

Tags: Weller Bourbon, bourbon, cocktails, liquour, spirits, whiskey

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Great Dallas...now I need a drink. No, not want a drink....need one.

Strangely, I've never had Weller. Again, thanks Dallas because I needed another expensive alcohol to purchase and enjoy.....yeah....great.

(next post will be Mike from rehab)
You know what, Weller is not all that expensive. You can get a really huge bottle of the 7 year for about $32, and that is here in Dallas, where things are expensive. Everyone I know who has had Weller loves it. It is so much better than JD. Try it and let me know.
well, of course I'll try it. That was my point. :)

I'm not a big JD (black) fan so I'm sure I'll like Weller more. My baseline bourbon for quaffing at home is Jim Beam in its various bottlings. I'm a big fan of Knob Creek, Woodforde, and Bookers...but I don't like Makers Mark.

Just talking about whiskeys of varying stripes makes me happy.

Bottoms up,
Woodford Reserve is very nice, Mike. My favorite bourbon.

Never heard of Weller. Thanks for the info, Dallas.
Whiskeys or whiskies? Is there any real difference between the two, or are they only local spelling variations of the same thing?
Plural is whiskies. No difference in the sense you mean, I think. Like there is a difference (somewhat) between whiskey and rye. Of course, there are big differences between whiskies themselves, in taste and quality.

Guys, I think you'll be happy with Weller. I'm not wild about Maker's Mark, either.
Whisky or whiskey?

The whiskey spelling(with an e) is indicative of only American or Irish whiskey.

Whisky is the favored spelling for Scotch, Canadian whisky, Japanese whisky, etc.
How did you know that? :P

I never even noticed the changes in spelling.

Do you like Scotch? I don't at all.
I used to be very passionate about Scotch, Dallas.

That's when I had a little more to spend on it.

I get someone not liking it. But, to be fair, there's a great variety in the different regions' offerings. Some are decidedly smokey and at times even a bit salty(Islay- pronounced eye-lah)- Bowmore is a nice example, some grassy and light(Lowland)- try Glenkinchie- great for beginners. The Highland whiskies are representative of many flavors- salty, smokey, sweet, peppery, flowery and everything in between.

It's also important to know how to drink it. It's best taken in small portions, called drams(officially 1/8 ounce), with a splash of fresh water(room temperature) to open it up.
You should write a post on Scotch. You seem to know something about it.
I've never really been a liquor man, but a while back I decided to try every single malt Scotch that exists. There are about 60 still active distilleries, and I stopped at 24.

My faves have always been the Islay singles (Lagavulin and Laphroaig, which I both prefer to Bowmore), Talisker, which tastes a bit like a smoother Islay, and Springbank, which doesn't taste like any other single malt Scotch I know.
I've never really been a liquor man, but a while back I decided to try every single malt Scotch that exists. There are about 60 still active distilleries, and I stopped at 24.

You're a good man, Jaume.

Interesting that you prefer the Laphroaig to the Bowmore, I couldn't disagree more. But I'd be happy to do a bottle of each with you, just to be sure. My absolute favorite Islay is Bruichladdich.

We actually went out and bought some just because I looked at this discussion.

Glad you felt inspired to enjoy a not-so-wee dram, Judith.

If you ever have a chance to splurge, try the Glenfarclas 30.

Thanks to Dallas for starting this, I had a couple Nàdurras(16 y.o.) before heading out to dinner.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service