I've managed to go through my whole life without learning to make crêpes.  My Dad used to make them for a special supper, and he always made it a bit ceremonial.  He called them "German pancakes" or "egg pancakes".  I loved rolling them up with butter and syrup.

Lately, with an excess of eggs and not knowing what to do with them, and some nostalgia set in, and I decided to learn to make them.

They are SO easy!  The recipes vary a lot, there are sweet or savory, they can be made ahead or on the spot.

This is how one guy makes them -

I like how he measures, and uses the old egg beater to mix.  I just use a wire whip.

The main thing is consistency, thin enough to spread around the skillet.  If too thin, add a bit of flour.  If too thick, add a bit of milk.

Here is a standard looking recipe.  It's best to make batter a couple of hours ahead, and refrigerate, or make it the night before and leave in the fridge until needed.

Recipe from "allrecipe.com"

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water (I just use all-milk, but it's skim, no water)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted (I use olive oil)

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. (I use a 10 inch nonstick frying pan with sloped sides, medium heat).  Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly. (The first couple may not work, until you get the hang of it) 
  3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot. (or cold.  or make a number of them and warm in microwave.)

I don't like using so much butter, so I use olive oil instead.  For sweet crêpes, I add a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla.  I didn't have vanilla, and used "vanilla-nut-butter" extract - it was great. 

For savory crêpes, I leave out the vanilla and sugar.  It gives them a little flair if you add chopped chives, sprinkling them on the batter just after spreading it around in the skillet.

For filling, I still get that nostalgic feeling by adding butter (OK, margarine) and syrup, and rolling it up.  Choices are endless.  I'm looking forward to rhubarb season, just saute some rhubarb with sugar and use that combination for filling. 

For savory crepes, I've used sauteed mushrooms with onions, or scrambled eggs with tomatoes and garlic, or spinach with garlic and mushrooms.

Since learning how to make them, we have crêpes  once or twice weekly.

Tags: Crêpes

Views: 103

Replies to This Discussion

Nice. Now I gotta do this.
Here's another video. Nothing like how I've made them (I haven't used buckwheat, I use olive oil instead of butter, and I use a nonstick skillet instead of griddle), but if I can fake the French accent it won't matter. The video shows the consistency of the batter. Most recipes suggest 2 hours in the fridge - this chef leaves them refrigerated overnight. That might be due to the buckwheat flour.

While living in London some years ago I learned about "pancake day", which is basically a reason to eat a whole mess of crepes. They traditionally smear them with butter, sprinkle a bit of sugar, then squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice. Simple and easy.

Then, of course, there is the Nutella filling!
I make the same ones, but I changed it to what was recommended in the comments section. So much better. :3 Most of the time, I'll look on there for a recipe, then read the comments for tips on how to make it better. :3

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service