Does anyone have any experience to share on appetite suppressants? I find I have such a difficult time of controlling my appetite. Taking psyllium husk pills doesn't seem to work for me, as far as controlling my hunger. However, I'm not easily seduced by diet pills and miracle drugs. I would be curious to know if anyone here has any advice to share.

Tags: appetite suppressants, dieting, eating, food, hunger

Views: 42

Replies to This Discussion

Hehe, but probably accurate. :)
I think there was an appetite suppressant that worked pretty well, but is now illegal. I remember not being hungry at all at lunchtime. Then I got hungry a few hours later, so it didn't matter.
When I am really involved in something, especially a writing project, I sometimes don't think about food. Sometimes small snacks work, but other times snacks turn into meals. Lately I've been eating just meals, but whatever I want as a meal.
I have the same problem of wanting to "graze" all day. Usually though, I'm not actually hungry. I am just wanting to experience the pleasure of eating. This is a big problem since I'm trying to lose weight. Are you actually hungry everytime you want to eat?

Personally, I limit my self to 4 snacks or mini-meals (about 200 calories each) plus one reasonble supper. Drinking a lot of water helps take away some of the desire to eat. I also try to distract myself when I get the urge to give in to a chocolate bar or chips. I will go for a walk, or do some housework, etc. In addition I like to chew gum to give myself some satisfaction. I use Wrigley's Extra which only has 5 cal. per piece.
Are you actually hungry everytime you want to eat?

Typically yes, or I have a craving of some sort.
Apparently anti-depressants can have an effect on appetite. Mine I think has done a little bit for that, but it could also be a variety of other things.

I've heard Sensa is effective. Never tried it. Everything should be taken with some skepticism, especially as it's new.
Oh, and a good, consistent sleep pattern is helpful for cravings and overeating. It does a lot for me.
Oh, and a good, consistent sleep pattern is helpful for cravings and overeating.

Well, I have sleep apnea, and I'm always tired. Yes, I do think there is a connection.
I used to chain-chew gum to keep myself from eating at work, also. (Then I found out gum is bad for acid reflux.) It works if you need to keep your mouth busy (yeah, I know that sounded bad).
It works if you need to keep your mouth busy (yeah, I know that sounded bad).

I can't chew gum. I swallow everything I put in my mouth. Yeah, I know that sounded bad, too.
I did not carefully read everything in the discussion,but, it seemed to me that no one had anything to say about a legal, safe, although quite temporary, appetite suppressant. Drink strong, high caffeine coffee. I use Mandheling, grind it myself and make drip coffee. It usually keeps the appetite down for 60 to 90 minutes per cup. Of course, among other things, if one drinks a very large amount of coffee, one can run into kidney stone problems. I did. Now I drink only one very large cup per day. It still kills the appetite temporarily. I wish you luck. I have struggled with trying to keep my weight reasonable my whole life.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service