About 15 years or so ago when I first started to really explore foods, one of the first things I explored was different cheeses. I was raised eating cheddar or American, and that was about it—except for when my parents were feeling really adventurous and got Colby Jack.

Of course, there are so many wonderful cheeses out there, that I had no use for cheddar, and saw it as an inferior cheese. In many ways, what passes for day-to-day cheddar in America is pretty inferior.

However, over the years I have found that there really are some wonderful cheddars available. Recently, I started eating Kerrygold Cheddars from Ireland. They are somewhat tangy, and have a mild pungency that I associate with blue cheeses -- though I cannot say they taste like blue cheeses. I’ve had their Blarney Castle, Mature Cheddar, and the Dubliner versions. They are not too expensive, either.

Perhaps one of the best cheddars is Black Diamond Canadian White Cheddar, but it is pretty expensive, and I haven’t had it in years. It is a very sharp cheese.

Interestingly, there are also some goat-milk cheddars available, too. They are extremely tangy though, so you won’t like them if you don’t like goat cheese.

Does anyone have any other cheddar recommendations?

Tags: Canada, Ireland, cheddar, cheese, dairy, eating, food, ingredients, products

Views: 15

Replies to This Discussion

Mmm, sounds delicious. I can't eat wheat any longer, and I sure do miss things like grilled cheese sandwhiches (and pizza, and donuts, and burgers).
Okay, I bought some Grafton Village 2 y.o. cheddar, but I did not like it. There was a very bitter aftertaste, reminiscent of what you can experience with some stouts and ales, and I just didn't care for it. I'm not saying it was a bad cheese, as it is clearly quality cheese, but it did not appeal to my taste buds. I liked the Cabot Creamery better.
Most of the Holsteins I see each day send a portion of their milk to Cabot.

That's neat. It's almost like being connected to your food source. At least much more than most of us experience.

Shelburne Farms cheddar

Alright, I'll add it to my list. :)
I just had some grass-fed beef for the first time last week. It was not bad, but I can't say that I noticed much of a difference. It was just a sirloin, and those aren't usually very marbled anyhow.

But hey, DG, there is no "alright."

All right already! Get off my case. Just kidding! Just kidding! There is nothing to forgive. I love it when you correct my spelling and grammar. :)
Grass-fed, in my experience, isn't consistently tasty or pleasant in texture. Other things factor in, I guess.

I watched a documentary (though the name escapes me) that said that the corn-rich diet that they feed cattle prior to slaughter is actually quite unhealthy for them, and if they continued doing it that the cattle would die from disease in a relatively short period of time. It is an unnatural diet for them, but it adds the weight on and makes the meat fatty.
Have you read any Michael Pollan?

Not yet, but he has been on my list for some time. I've heard good things about him, and Sydni has posted some things on him.

Thanks for the DOC file. I'll read it just as soon as I can.
I looked for Cabot last night at a store, but they didn't have it. I'll keep trying though. I was broke so I bought Kraft cheddar. Pray for me.
Me in Kraft Hell:

I just tried some Barber's 1833 English Vintage Cheddar. Meh! Not my favorite. Judging from its crumbly-ness, I'm going to guess it is a little leaner than some other cheddars. Not terrible, but not spectacular. Kind of has a mild, astringent quality to it.

The Black Diamond is indeed my favorite, but as you said expensive and hard to find. Sam's Club sells huge block for around $10 - 12, but in a pinch I always get Cabot Extra Sharp.

I cannot buy a yellow cheese, having been raised in Australia, we were always taught that the whiter the cheese, the less fat content and although I know now that this is a coloring put in the cheese, I cannot stand to eat it plus it doesn't have much flavor and Aussie cheeses are usually all good. The Kerrygold brand is good and they also have a good butter, which is also the second dairy product that there is a huge difference between countries (and the milk is different too).

My favorite cracker treat is rice crackers: the brand I have at the moment is Sesmark Savory Rice Thins, I add a slice of salami, a slice of cheese and then a slice of a bread and butter cucumber, love those items together.

I cannot live without cheese. This is a fact.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Freethinker31 replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
6 minutes ago
booklover replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
27 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to dr kellie's discussion what boobs are good for in the group Hang With Friends
33 minutes ago
Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Carl Sagan's Cosmos
35 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
39 minutes ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a video
My Loot Crate just made my day today. Small little pick me ups right when I need one. :) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203923636523049&l=6942591917367135588
53 minutes ago
sflmac replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat commented on Pete Matthews's status
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Rick Springfield's discussion Religion the virus of society in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 hour ago
Joseph P commented on Dr. Terence Meaden's group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joseph P commented on Dr. Terence Meaden's group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service