See the web site for Rebecca Goldstein's new novel, 36 Arguments for the Existence of God: A
Work of Fiction

See also the page on 36 Arguments on Rebecca Newberger Goldstein's own web site.

When Goldstein appeared in Washington to promote her new book, she emphasized the subtitle, which renders the title
deliberately ironic. The appendix to her novel catalogs the 36
arguments.

Rebecca Goldstein is a philosopher who turned to fiction with her first novel, The Mind-Body Problem. Since then
she has written several works of fiction and non-fiction, the latter
including an excellent book on Spinoza and an intellectual biography of
Kurt Godel and his friendship with Einstein.

Here are a couple of reviews:

'36 Arguments' Poses Questions Of Faith, In Fiction by Maureen Corrigan
NPR, 20 Jan 2010

Trying to Paint the Deity by Numbers Against a Backdrop of Jewish C...

By Janet Maslin
The New York Times, January 20, 2010

Tags: Goldstein, Jewish, Rebecca, atheists, fiction

Views: 15

Replies to This Discussion

If I ever see her book on Spinoza, I would want to see if the content was really accessible to the reader first. I once ordered a set of two books on him, possibly 15 years ago, and the writing was so incredibly dense, I gave up and regretted getting the books. That's the only time I ever tried to read anything about him. The books were written by some philosopher. Ever since then, I've been content to just read brief summaries by others of what Spinoza said and to just leave it at that.
The Spinoza book is terrific. It's more biographical than an explication of Spinoza's ideas, though.
It would be interesting to see what shaped Spinoza to be the person he was, especially how he got to the kind of thoughts he ended up with. I don't think I would have had the courage to be as mentally strong as he apparently was for his time, I do need some zone of safety that I can function in.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service