There has been some discussion regarding the description for the group.

"For Atheists coming from Judaism."

I don't find this limiting or exclusionary at all. Is it really necessary to add "or anyone else with interest..."? I think that anyone with interest is welcome to join.

Please discuss.

Views: 6

Replies to This Discussion

It's not entirely clear from the group description, though I don't assume that non-Jews are excluded. The descriptions of groups for other nationalities and peoples are often more explicit about the inclusion of others. I belong to several such groups: Black Freethought, African Atheists, Indian Atheists, and maybe others I've forgotten. Needless to say, I do not originate in all of these demographic groups. But also, even for Jewish atheists, the designation "Jewish" applies both to religion and ethnicity. A person can be Jewish in origin, but doesn't "come from Judaism" if (s)he was raised in an irreligious family. At the very least one should say: "atheists of Jewish origin". And maybe add, "and others serious interested in or sympathetic to the Jewish people", to include others positively interested (i.e. not with an agenda to engage in political or other harassment). This may not be a trivial addition, considering the persistence of prejudice, stereotypes, and misinformation out there, among atheists as well as other non-Jews.

Re my remark on the wall about tradition: the cultural crossover phenomenon esp. in the USA is hardly uncommon. Just as there are Jews who "desert" Jewish ethnic or religious traditions, there are others with an interest in Jewish history and culture. The prevalence of intermarriage alone speaks to this. Ultimately, the preservation of historical memory of any group may not be dependent solely on members of that group.
Ok. Ralph I get it.

How about "For Atheists of Jewish origin and others interested in Jewish history and culture."
That actually sounds good. I appreciate being able to join this group. I could see that others had joined without necessarily matching the description, but it was important to me not to offend you. Thanks!
Excellent!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Loren Miller replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
15 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on nikki summers's blog post atheist billboard
30 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
35 minutes ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
43 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
58 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
5 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
5 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service