One of the many things I've read that people with ADD/ADHD may be prone to is depression. Boy, howdy. That's certainly been true in my case.

I'm hoping that it's mostly situational, as in people who don't know they have ADD/ADHD (as I once didn't) beat themselves up a lot for not being more of a "success", or get beat up a lot for not being on time, being a "space case", etc... I'm hoping that as more information about ADD/ADHD is disseminated, and more scientific research results in useful studies, that younger generations will have access to resources that I never had until recently.

Anyhow, has anybody else in the community dealt with depression?

Tags: comorbidity, depression

Views: 38

Replies to This Discussion

unfortunately add didn't exist when you where a kid...my uncle wasn't diagnosed until he was in his late forties either....but was relieved that his "problem" had a name....and treatment options.
man thats bull.........
I've seen you standing out on the cybercorner of the Nexus, using your switchblade to clean under your fingernails.
A friend who has one son with bouncing-off-the-walls ADHD told me that he was having issues making and keeping friends in school until he got medicated. He even noticed the difference afterward, and thanked her for it.

I hear you about social relationships. I have a tendency to be bouncy when I'm happy, and tend to have spontaneous outbursts of enthusiasm... who could imagine that these things would be liabilities in some circles? I just had to find people that didn't hate me for that, or think I am putting it on.

The flip side of that has been the depression. My mom always used to say that she could tell when I wasn't happy, as I wouldn't be singing.

This has been education for me to read, as I didn't know what 5150ed meant. Google is my friend.

Tedster, I had no idea you were/are around my age, but Bugs' Fickle Finger of Fate should have clued me in. Also, I could have looked at your page.

I think because ADD/ADHD is an invisible disability, a lot of people don't get it, or don't try to get it. The quality of my life would have been very different if I'd been treated for it as a kid, and been taught ways to cope with it. Things are much better now, but even still... the ADD gets in the way.
I have both and it is a suckin combination. However, I consider the conditions blessings and curses. My ADHD makes me quick witted, adventurous, and entertaining. My depression has given me a depth of experience that most people will never know. Both conditions have made me more sensitive, humble and empathetic.

I guess the bottom line is that I like who I am, and ADHD and depression are integral to my personality.

I think the biggest challenge is to separate the objective event from the emotional coloring I may paint that event based on transient mood issues.
I have both and it is a suckin combination. However, I consider the conditions blessings and curses. My ADHD makes me quick witted, adventurous, and entertaining. My depression has given me a depth of experience that most people will never know. Both conditions have made me more sensitive, humble and empathetic.

I guess the bottom line is that I like who I am, and ADHD and depression are integral to my personality.

I think the biggest challenge is to separate the objective event from the emotional coloring I may paint that event based on transient mood issues.

I really appreciate the way you've expressed this, Rusty. This is pretty much how I feel about my "afflictions".
Thanks Nate,

I got jumped on when I first joined A/N for referencing Heidegger, but I am very attracted to his idea of "thownness." We have no say so about the circumstances into which we've been thrown in our human existence. Some are thrown into riches, some into poverty, some into physical disability, some into mental illness, some into abusive families, some into minority status, some into robust health... etc. We don't choose where we are thrown. It is luck of the draw. But, what we do with our circumstances is entirely our responsibility.

So, if you are thrown into depression and ADHD, the only sensible choice is to appreciate the experience and see what it has to offer.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service