Anyone have any stats, or clues, or hunches, or ideas about a connection of any sort between ADHD and atheism?

Ever since I learned about ADHD (only a couple weeks ago, for crying out loud!) and the massive impact it has had on my life, I'm starting to wonder if there's any connection between my atheism and my ADHD.

Maybe it's not even one of causation. My atheism certainly did not cause my ADHD. And though it's possible that people with ADHD may be more or less likely to be atheists, I don't have any sort of data to support that one way or the other.

And yet, I still sort of feel like there's some connection. Perhaps because when I was a kid I spent *so* much frigging time daydreaming in class, and this turned into deep contemplation, and my hyper-focus allowed me to excel at logic, math, and science, maybe this ADHD did have some influence on me becoming an atheist.

To be honest, I was a budding atheist as early as 8 years old. As soon as I knew what the word meant, I knew I was one. I had never taken god belief seriously. It took a while for me to even *realize* that *other* people took it seriously. By the time I was 9, I was reading the old Greek myths. My favourite was Jason and the Argonauts. By that time, I'd say I was completely inoculated against religious memes. If the Greek gods and heroes weren't real, then how could anyone think the Jewish/Christian ones were? Besides, the Greek myths were way cooler than the Bible stories. Samson is no Heracles.

I think my ADHD (not so much hyperactivity as inattention) for the most part kept me deeply immersed in my imagination and fantasy. To this day I continually build whole worlds in my mind, and I intend to start writing Science Fiction, once I get a handle on my chronic procrastination. By spending so much time imagining stuff, maybe I have a keener sense of the distinction between imagined reality and real reality. Maybe that's why I can so easily reject gods, mysticism, and pseudo-science.

So maybe my ADHD and my atheism are connected. I'm not sure. Anyone else have any thoughts or intuitions on this?

Tags: ADHD, atheism, daydreaming, imagination, intuition, mythology

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

ADHD may make cognitive dissonance more painful. As it sometimes manifests as hyperfocus, the flawed logic inherent to religious belief may be more glaring and intolerable than it is for others. I know it worked that way for me.
I think my ADHD (not so much hyperactivity as inattention) for the most part kept me deeply immersed in my imagination and fantasy. To this day I continually build whole worlds in my mind, and I intend to start writing Science Fiction, once I get a handle on my chronic procrastination.

Same here!

I don't think ADHD has a corelation with atheism unless you're thinking about religion. I never thought about my faith when I was a Christian. My family is very liberal for the most part. My mother hasn't been to church since before I was born, my father was an atheist before he re-married into a Christian family (he believes in God now but has ADHD that may be as bad as or worse than mine) and the only time I went to church was when I stayed at his house for the weekends, but I never payed attention to the sermons. I sung along with the Jesus "rock music" cuz it was fun and during the sermons I daydreamed. After church all the kids went to the wreck room to play fooseball. That was all I cared about. Fooseball.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service