How to React when Insulted or Teased

There are always people who get their kicks by tormenting someone else. They enjoy insulting or teasing others, because they themselves are insecure. They are obviously completely jealous of something you have - your looks, luck, or friends and family so just think, "Wow, that's a compliment!"

They get pleasure out of watching the person who they have insulted or teased squirm, feel uncomfortable or cry. Their main purpose is to get a reaction out of the other person. This despicable breed are known as "bullies". They look for a comeback, they expect it, so don't give it!

However, you should also be advised that in America, and many other countries, it is a customary "initiation" procedure into a group. Often newcomers will be scolded, because they are newcomers, as a test of their resolve. Often friends will remark to other friends, “You’re so stupid!" in a joking, sarcastic way. It is your job to figure out if the other person is bonding with you via cynical sarcasm, or if their real intent is to publicly hurt you. If they are trying to insult or joke with you, you should follow the steps below.

This article has good advise. Read the article steps here.

Views: 221

Replies to This Discussion

The best thing is to walk away and not respond anymore to this person. They feed off of inflicting pain to you. Don't let them win! Don't give them what they want from you.

If someone says something insulting, the general response is to ignore them. If I were talking to a wall, the wall wouldn't reply back so I'd get bored and leave the wall alone. If I were talking to the wall and the wall somehow talked back I would keep talking because I know I'll get a reply. Same thing with bullies.

Simply do not be insulted. Their remark is as insincere as flattery. If they want to have a problem with you, that is their problem.

Thanks, Steph; sarcasm can be so hurtful; There are better ways to communicate, to be authentic, and to show respect, if warranted. Great tips. 

Thank you Joan for reading!

I agree.  Don't give them what they want (a response), and they will soon quit.  I heard this many years ago and tried it many times in my life.  It always worked.  If you meet a person that is determined to harm you physically, it may not prevent that, but luckily I never had to deal with that.

Once in California, when given a new sunday school class to teach, I found-out that the boys in the class had given the previous teachers a very hard time by using swear-words and other unpleasant behaviors.  The last teacher quit very quickly.  I decided to try ignoring them and they stopped the behavior in one or two sessions.

I had a co-worker that kept poking me in the ribs several times a day, which made me jump and be constantly on edge.  Very unpleasant.  That was a case where ignoring didn't seem to work because I couldn't control the jump reflex.  I knew he was basically a nice person, so in that case, I finally told him "Look, I know you poking me in the ribs is your way of telling me you like me, but if you do it again, I'm going to deck you."  He never did it again, and we got along fine.  It probably helped that I was not the kind of person that ever hit anyone, or threatened them, or was unpleasant to anyone.

You are right Idaho Spud. If you stop responding they will stop. Thanks for sharing your stories with us and how it worked out for you.
Some people like to pick fights and they enjoy getting a rise out of you - it's best to walk away and ignore them.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service