Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

This list was inspired by the book The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Laney. -- on Amazon

http://jerrybrito.org/post/6114304704/top-ten-myths-about-introverts

Views: 204

Replies to This Discussion

Hah, how's that working out? :-P I know it's not working out too good for me. A lot of eye-rolling on my part, frustration with every act of perceived stupidity (usually correctly perceived, though I have misjudged people occasionally), etc. But you know, in the end the person I get the most frustrated with is me, I'm hardest on myself, too hard I think. Do you have the same experience too?

I am the person most frustrated with me.  

I wonder if we're really going to put our finger on something here. I've always felt that extroverts were too quick to take praise for themselves and too slow to take any blame. I look to myself first, to see if there's something I could learn, some behavior of mine that I could change that would make me a better person. I think that is perhaps the best virtue about introverts, we are more likely to be introspective and to learn from our mistakes and improve ourselves over the course of our lives.

its very hard for me to take praise.  im not crazy about criticism either, but when praised I want to hide.

Why is that Sentient Biped? Do you feel the praise is unjustified?

I don't know.  It makes me feel very uncomfortable.  Which is stupid because I often feel unappreciated.  Crazy.

I often feel unappreciated as well, SB, but I think I take praise pretty well. :-) Not that there's been a lot coming my way, which is the problem.

Yes I do try to see what I can do to make myself a better person.

Yes, I am hardest on myself -- that is true. It's not working out too good for me -- I actually don't have many friends -- maybe one friend.

At least you have us online friends...  virtual hug!

Yay- you guys are the best! Thanks!

Heh, we've got yet another thing in common then, Steph. I've got one friend from high school that I speak with through text messages only, we can't spend too much time together because A. he's a smoker so I refuse to go to his house, and B. he always has something wrong with his health, usually his back but this time it's a distended abdomen. An old friend but we've grown apart. I've got another friend from high school but we speak only rarely, spend time together maybe only once or twice a year. I had a good friend from college, he had an emotional breakdown of sorts and ended our friendship sometime around 3 years ago. I got so lonely I sent him an email wondering if he was doing any better and if he was ready to be friends again, we almost had a falling out immediately but managed to reconstitute our friendship, although he had since moved far away so our friendship is really only the occasional email, which he has been too busy (understandably) with school to really keep up with. So 3 kinda-friends? Not very fulfilling. But I've got three sons and it looks like another baby or two! on the way. My sons keep me pretty busy and happy, so they are really my best friends I guess. They are still too young to really provide me with a fulfilling friendship (my four-year-old played checkers with me for the first time this week, but got bored before we were able to finish the game), but I expect they will be able to provide me with a lot of satisfying friendship-type experiences over the years to come. How about you Steph?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Grinning Cat replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
5 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
8 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
9 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
9 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
11 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
12 minutes ago
13 minutes ago
14 minutes ago
22 minutes ago
Asa Watcher commented on Joan Denoo's blog post ...And What If I'm Wrong?
22 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
23 minutes ago
38 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service