I am in love with some of Indian music greats, espacially Pandit Jas Raj, Hari Parsad Churasia, Bismillah Khan, Allah Rakaha, Zakir Hussain, Villayat Khan, Ravi Shanker and Shiv Kumar Shrma. Is there classical music lover there.

Views: 19

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable. I am familiar only with Ravi Shankar, but I haven't listened to him for many years.
hay Ralph, You were the least expected person to respond to it. It is a pleasure for me to find you in liking of indian music.
I like all kinds of Indian music. I used to know someone who was a classical musician, although he was kind of a jerk and got himself into a scandal.
Hi Amer,

I am a great lover of Indian Classical, both Hindustani and Carnatic, particularly love the fusion concerts where two great music traditions come together.

Cheers
raj
Yes we are now finding more and more fused music now a days. Some of them are really great. By the hands of a creative person fusion of the eastren and westren musical traditions create beauty. A lot of indian musicians are experimenting now a days with mixing of westren and eastren musical instruments. I wonder if you had listened Jan Garbarek with Ravi Shanker or Ustad Fateh Ali Khan.
Definitely, both Hindustani and Carnatic. I am not very knowledgeable, but I have heard and appreciated Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia, Pandit Ravi Shankar, Pandit Vishwamohan Bhatt, Pandit Shivkumar Sharma and Rahul Sharma, Amaan and Ayaan Ali Bangash, Anoushka Shankar, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Ustad Zakir Hussain, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. There are probably others, but I can't think of their names off-hand.

I had no idea until I just did a few Google searches, but National Geographic has a music channel. I've linked to the Carnatic Classical Music Channel. Kitchens of India has a free download. The Wikipedia page on Indian Classical music has some links at the bottom with samples.

For fusion music, I am particularly fond of the CD "Shabaz", headed by the brother/sister team of Riffat Salamat and Sukhawat Ali Khan.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service