Do you think people who spend long periods of time away from India begin to adhere to their religion even more than those who stay home? They are so afraid they will lose their ties to India and their kids will know nothing of their heritage. Unfortunately, religion is big part of the heritage.

Even when you return to India to see family, it is hardly the time to begin exploring free thought. It is time to reinforce old traditions, visit temples and so on.

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

I think you make an interesting observation -- that this is only in the first generation of immigrants.
If my relatives are any example. Yes.

I believe that multi-culturalism has a great deal to do with this since it wasn't the case before multicultural policies were adopted.

Indians in Canada are far more traditional than the relatives I've met who live in India.

It's actually kind of weird when your relatives from India are more westernized than your relatives who grew up in Canada. Lol.

This only applies to those who settled here in the 1970s and on.

Previous to that the philosophy in the Indian community in Canada was to integrate and all of my relatives who came previous to the 1970s did.
Wow, u have stumbled onto the reason I never go to India, indian parties in Canada, any of my parents' friends' places, temples, blahblah...Interestingly, you are right, people in the West, cling to their religion more after leaving because they havent been properly integrated and to quite an extent, assimilated. While the word sounds bad, its actually really important for Indians to remember why they left their sweet homeland and went West. It must be because their is more freedom to be better educated in a non-religious fashion!! I cant enjoy any festival that is indian because it is ALWAYS tied to a religion ...and that pisses me off and bores me to tears. So I never go :)
We could try to secularize the festivals. To a large extent the myths already sound like fairy tales. I think that someday these could be celebrated as such. Other festivals already have a basis in natural events, like the various harvest festivals and the various seasonal festivals. I know that in the West there is an active move in this direction towards secularizing religious ceremonies. Of course, we should start our own non-religious festivals and events. I think it will happen, eventually.
you know what, I like festivals about food!! that always comes with music, an entrance and an exit, tickets, drinks, some grass, some games for the kids, and dessert. There are plenty of those in Toronto, so I check em out. Never the santa claus parade or any of that.
Ajita, the topic of secular celebrations has already been introduced (by me) in the discussion on "How to be an Atheist Indian". It got some interesting replies although there is much more to be explored. Here it is being introduced as if it is a new topic for this group, but in fact it is not.
I didn't say it is a new idea that I came up with. It was meant as a response to Jag who said "I cant enjoy any festival that is indian because it is ALWAYS tied to a religion". Sorry if I didn't give credit to your thesis.
Becoming atheist did not make me any more generous or sweet-natured. Apology accepted.
No, I think being pedantic is a more intrinsic trait and not related to beliefs about god. So is sarcasm.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Daniel W (Sentient Biped) replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
7 minutes ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
10 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Feminism
36 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Luara's discussion A naked rambler
42 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to sk8eycat's discussion California Seems to Be Learning Something in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
47 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
47 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
51 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
52 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to sk8eycat's discussion California Seems to Be Learning Something in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
56 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked sk8eycat's discussion California Seems to Be Learning Something
57 minutes ago
matthew greenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service