Bill would hinder animal-rights activists' attempts to outlaw cages

ATLANTA -- Cities and counties would be prohibited from regulating the production of agricultural products produced on parcels of 5 acres or greater under legislation introduced Tuesday.

Rep. Tom McCall, R-Elberton, said he introduced House Bill 529 to forestall a movement that began in California to prohibit confinement of animals, such as chickens, hogs and calves used in veal.

Asked if he was prompted by a specific incident, McCall said, "If you look at what California did with Proposition 2 and the problems that has caused out there, maybe yes."

Rep. Terry England, R-Auburn, is a cosponsor of HB 529.

"Basically, we're saying that local government can't come in and say you can't farm if you have (more) than 5 acres," England said. "California has been doing some crazy things similar to that."

California voters overwhelmingly passed Proposition 2 in November which opponents predict will raise food prices and prompt every egg producer to leave the state. Georgia is among the top states in egg production and is No. 1 in broilers.

McCall's bill, pending in the House Agriculture and Consumer Affairs Committee he chairs, would force animal-rights advocates to convince the General Assembly for a statewide prohibition against caging food animals rather than passing ordinances in sympathetic cities or counties around the state. Animal-

Tags: CAFO, Factory-farming, Georgia, agribusiness, agriculture, animal-cruelty, animal-rights, animal-welfare, food, livestock, More…poultry

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, but the Amish run tons of puppymills. Search for Amish Puppymill (or puppy mills) on YouTube.com.
There are no Amish where I live... and I doubt their chickens, etc. are being packaged and sold in the stores.
Dallas is right... they run tons of puppy-mills, and Oprah did a couple specials on it, and there's also an HSUS group that goes to the Amish several times a year to "recover" the dogs too old to produce and try to convince them to give up more of the ones that appear sick, or injured.

I buy my eggs from locals who have chickens for yard birds... but even some of them feed their chickens a medicated feed... so, what goes in, goes out... so to speak... I don't know what the right answer is... I try not to eat meat, which includes tuna... as I don't agree with tuna fishing practices that still are killing a lot of dolphins.
Cool you can get your eggs that way. Good idea on the tuna, too. See this story.
I don't know how it is in other areas but we have specialty stores that only sell organic locally grown food. It's popular enough to have been invading the regular grocery stores.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service