You see them all over - those blue letters, sometimes underlined, which allow you to reference another location on Atheist Nexus or elsewhere in internet.  It makes it a lot easier to refer to something than to cut and paste the whole article into your post or blog or comment.  As it turns out, creating those links are fairly easy to do:

1. Your first step should be to get the link or URL (short for Uniform Resource Locator) which you wish to refer to.  Let's say you want to create a link to this group - How To Do It!.  One way to get that link would be to highlight it in the address window of a browser which is currently on that page:

There are other ways to "grab" links as well, which we may talk about in the comments.  To copy the URL, either right-mouse click and select "Copy" or use the keyboard and press CTRL-C.  This will copy the URL into the clipboard.

2. Your next step would be to locate the text which you want to use as the LINK which, when someone clicks on it, will take them to the How To Do It group.  Let's say your text looks like this:

I just found this neat new group, and I wanted to let you know about it!

And you wanted to use the words, "neat new group" as the link.  Highlight those words, then click the "LINK"  item in the menu at the top of the editing box:

3. Once you press LINK, the following pop-up box will appear:

Paste the URL you have stored in your clipboard into the Link URL box.  The best way to do this is to use the CTRL-V keystroke, which will replace the "http://" with your link.  You may wish to check to be sure that the "http://" doesn't occur twice in that field, or the link won't work correctly.  Click OK.

4. You should now have text that looks and behaves like the following:

I just found this neat new group, and I wanted to let you know about it!

And if you click on "neat new group" above, it will take you to the home page for How To Do It!  Pretty neat, eh?  Questions or problems?  PLEASE ASK!!!

Tags: URL, link

Views: 155

Replies to This Discussion

As with many things and especially in html, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same thing.  Go with what works for you.

Thanks Loren.  I've often wondered how to get certain words to link, but have been too busy with other things to research it or ask about it.  I've just been inserting the whole URL in my comments.  

Reading the comments about the "clipboard" reminded me of something I've often wondered about.  Do you know why they don't make the clipboard so it will hold a list of saved items?  I love that feature in Hewlett Packard Revers Polish Notation calculators.  

There it's called a "register", but it seems similar to a clipboard.  By the way, the register only holds 4 numbers, and I've often wished it held 10 or or more.  I'm never satisfied! : )

My thought on the subject is that perhaps the creators of the clipboard thought holding more than one item would be too complicated for most people.  And, perhaps the register creators thought most people's memory wasn't good enough to need more than 4 entries.  What do you think?

The clipboard in general only stores one element at a time.  In Microsoft Word, though, I've seen it do what you allude to: have multiple cut or copied items in a multiple-stage buffer or register.  That may be the case with other Microsoft Office applications, too, though I haven't observed it.

And as to the old HP calculators ... OOOOG!  Blast from the Past!  I remember attending a Xmas party in 1972 where someone brought one of the ORIGINAL HP-35 calculators!!!  Up to that time, I had been surviving on a Keuffel & Esser Log-Log Duplex Decitrig slide rule.  Many jaws hit the floor that night, mine included!

Slide rules!  I had one too!

At least no one has brought up using an abacus.

:-)

I owned 3 slide rules.  Still do.  Don't use them.  Just hang on to them because of nostalgia.  A few years ago, I de-junked a little when I got rid of my 3 Volkswagen bugs I was holding on to out of nostalgia.  Perhaps I should do the same with my slide rules.

I bought a cheap abacus at one time just because I thought it was a cool old technology and wanted to see how it felt to use it.  

Those of you who used slide rules have instant Olde Tech geek cred!

(I only ever learned how to multiply on one.)

I'm sure people at the time knew algorithms for getting more significant figures out of a calculation.

Call me a total old fart geek. i was taught it is sissy to use a calculator.

Not only that, I learned to program using DOS 1.0

I may have you there, Daniel.  I did my first programming on a Univac 1108; the language was Case Algol, a variant on Algol 60, and this was back in 1968.  The next programming I did after that was Digital Equipment Corporation PDP-8 machine language, which was interesting because it was neither eight- nor 16-bit based, but TWELVE-bit!

PCs and DOS wouldn't show up for another two years after that.

OK Loren, I bow to your ancient nerdiness. You have me in awe.

Oh, PIFFLE!

Thanks for the helps Loren, Grinning Cat, Daniel, Spud and all who contribute to better computer knowledge. 

Have a question, I just now noticed the "Follow – Email me when people reply". Should I click on it if I want email replies? 

If the "Follow" link is clicked, it will change to Stop Following and you will get an email every time someone contributes to that particular discussion.  This is so you can keep track of additional contributions and respond in a timely fashion.  The downside is that very active discussions will result in a flooded mailbox, which is why I DE-SELECT that most times.  I generally keep track of conversations I'm interested in by watching the "Latest Activity" column on my profile page.

That works just fine and keeps me from having to clean out my email inbox with a virtual coal shovel!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service