You see them all over - those blue letters, sometimes underlined, which allow you to reference another location on Atheist Nexus or elsewhere in internet.  It makes it a lot easier to refer to something than to cut and paste the whole article into your post or blog or comment.  As it turns out, creating those links are fairly easy to do:

1. Your first step should be to get the link or URL (short for Uniform Resource Locator) which you wish to refer to.  Let's say you want to create a link to this group - How To Do It!.  One way to get that link would be to highlight it in the address window of a browser which is currently on that page:

There are other ways to "grab" links as well, which we may talk about in the comments.  To copy the URL, either right-mouse click and select "Copy" or use the keyboard and press CTRL-C.  This will copy the URL into the clipboard.

2. Your next step would be to locate the text which you want to use as the LINK which, when someone clicks on it, will take them to the How To Do It group.  Let's say your text looks like this:

I just found this neat new group, and I wanted to let you know about it!

And you wanted to use the words, "neat new group" as the link.  Highlight those words, then click the "LINK"  item in the menu at the top of the editing box:

3. Once you press LINK, the following pop-up box will appear:

Paste the URL you have stored in your clipboard into the Link URL box.  The best way to do this is to use the CTRL-V keystroke, which will replace the "http://" with your link.  You may wish to check to be sure that the "http://" doesn't occur twice in that field, or the link won't work correctly.  Click OK.

4. You should now have text that looks and behaves like the following:

I just found this neat new group, and I wanted to let you know about it!

And if you click on "neat new group" above, it will take you to the home page for How To Do It!  Pretty neat, eh?  Questions or problems?  PLEASE ASK!!!

Tags: URL, link

Views: 155

Replies to This Discussion

Loren, nicely described!

I use links heavily.  I think links give the reader a place to evaluate for themselves, regarding the topic I discuss.  It also shows that some thought and research was put into a topic, not just off the top of my head.

I forgot about CTRL-V.  I should do that.  On my old desktop computer, I right-clicked the mouse to highlight a URL.  On my last lap top, I right clicked the touch pad.  On my current one, I right click a "unibrow" mousepad which sometimes takes multiple tries.  I don't know if it can be done on i-pad, which so far is a more passive instrument for me, compared to a keyboard-based machine.

Anyway, very helpful!  Thanks for posting.  Muchas gracias!

wow - cool - thank you

Another interesting feature for using links is the Comment Link icon, which you'll see in some comments, between the commenter's icon and the "Reply by" line:

These aren't horribly useful to just click on, but if you RIGHT-MOUSE click on them, you can save that exact location for reference elsewhere.  This is what I get when I right-mouse using Mozilla Firefox:

Selecting "Copy Link Location" allows you to store the LOCATION of that comment in your clipboard, so that you can create a link to it elsewhere, for instance if it says something important you would like to refer to in another conversation.  Worth note: you can do that right-mouse trick with ANY text, picture or graphic that has a hyperlink in it.

When you right-click in other browsers, they have slightly different names for this. For example, in Internet Explorer it's "Copy Shortcut"; in Chrome it's "Copy link address".

True enough.  I've seen that ... and of course, if I dug into every browser and did every example for each of them, this post and all the others I hope to do would read like War and Peace.

But thanks a LOT for your contribution!  That's what I hope to do here: to get some understanding about how our computers work and how to use them better when we're doing things here, and if it doesn't all come from me, then it comes from someone else, like you, and it achieves the same end.

Again ... THANKS!

Loren, not to sound like a total fool but...wheres the clipboard?

There are NO dumb questions, excepting the one that doesn't get asked!

The "clipboard" is a buffer in your computer operating system where things that are cut or copied are held temporarily.  When you go to the Edit menu and select "Cut" or "Copy," that's where it's being stored.  When, as above, you select "Copy Link Location," the URL being accessed is stored in the clipboard.  It can then be PASTED wherever you wish and (usually) as many times as you wish until something else is cut or copied.

I hope that's clear.  If not, again, PLEASE ASK!

Thanks! Nobody is born knowing how to use a computer clipboard -- or a mouse, or touchscreen gestures, or intangible files and "folders", or email, and so on, and so forth.

Also, while you're writing, you can change a link even after OKing the "Add Link" popup.

Suppose I made a link to the neat new group but need to fix the URL.

Clicking on it gives the choice of "Edit" or "Delete". "Edit" brings up the "Add Link" box again, where you can make changes. ("Delete" removes the text and link entirely, just like backspacing over it.)

I'll learn more here than I did in computer classes. Thanks all.

Terrific!  Give it a try and if you have ANY problems, do please give a shout.

I didn't realize that.  I just go into html mode to edit linx.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service