A while back I acquired a great little netbook, an 11.4" Acer as1410. I upgraded the RAM to 4GB and with a 250GB hard drive it's almost nicer than my previous full-sized laptops. 

Previously I've always dual-booted all my Windows computers with Linux. I partitioned the drive and tried to install first Ubuntu Netbook then the full Ubuntu 10.10 version. Both install OK but hang with several hardware issues on reboot. I suspect it's because this runs on an Intel processor instead of Atom. I'm surprised since Ubuntu has never had an issue on a computer of mine before. 

So now I'm wondering which distro is most likely to install without issue. In the past I've used Fedora, SUSE and Mandriva, but I wonder if those aren't a bit too much for a netbook. I'm just not sure at this point.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it's a compatibility problem with the processor. Looks like that laptop has an Intel ULV SU3500 1.4 GHz processor. I have an alienware m11x laptop with an Intel ULV SU7300 1.3 GHz processor, and the 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop edition works just fine.

What sort of hardware issues did you have?

I haven't tried any of the other three in quite a few years, but I guess they should work fine too

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service