10 Surprising Fiber Finds

A high-fiber diet doesn't have to be dull and tasteless. Find fiber in tasty treats like fresh berries, pears, almonds, and even cocoa powder.

Getting enough fiber in your diet can cut your risk for heart disease, improve your health, and help dieting success in a number of ways. Yet many of us cringe as we visualize a diet full of dry fiber foods like crackers or wheat bran.

• Artichokes. Few fiber-rich foods are more fun to eat than artichokes, and this veggie treat provides you with about 7 grams of fiber.
  • Pears. Sweet, juicy pears rank high up on the list of surprisingly fiber-rich foods, ranging between 4.4 and 5.5 grams depending on the type of pear.
  • Berries. Blackberries and raspberries weigh in at 4 grams of fiber per serving and can be very tasty as a topping to breakfast cereal, as a stand-alone dessert, or as a simple, refreshing snack.
  • Mixed veggies. One-half cup of cooked vegetables delivers about 4 grams of fiber.
  • Cocoa powder. If you like to make your own hot chocolate, 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder in a one-cup serving equals about 4 grams of fiber.
  • Sweet potato. Cooked with its skin on, a sweet potato serves up 3.8 grams of fiber. You can also get this fiber by baking sweet potato fries, a great alternative to traditional French fries.
  • Dried figs. These sweet, slightly-chewy treats give you about 3.7 grams of fiber per serving.
  • Pumpkin. A half-cup of canned pumpkin has about 3.6 grams of fiber. It’s a great ingredient in pies and breads. It also helps thicken stews and soups.
  • Almonds. These nuts have a number of health benefits, including a relatively high fiber content — 3.5 grams of fiber per serving.
  • Peas. The common green pea served as a side dish or added to stews and casseroles provides 2.5 to 3.5 grams of fiber per serving. Split peas, commonly used in pea soup, have as much as 8 grams per serving.

I eat almonds all the time!  I didn't even know that they had that much fiber. 

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

As a diabetic on a low carb diet, I have to consider fiber carefully. In particular, too much insoluble fiber causes me to have diarrhea. If I have a few nuts in the morning on an empty stomach... blazam! Soluble fiber, in contrast, is always beneficial.
Some types of fiber causes my tummy to react badly. I have to watch that as well.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service