When I was living in Prague for a bit, my friends ran a Tiki bar (fruity drinks, Hawaiian music, kitschy decorations, and all that).

It was just about the only laid-back bar in the whole city. The other bars were all like punk bars, drinking holes, pick-up joints, fancy shmancy expensive touristy pubs, and rather loud dance clubs. Which is fine... unless you just want to hang with friends, right?!

Anyway, I found the Tiki bar to be an oasis in the middle of the bustling city. I had many inspiring conversations, daydreams, funny encounters with all sorts of quirky and cool friends.

During this time is when I started thinking more about wonderism (which I made a group about here, which you all are welcome to participate in if you want, of course! Link: Wonderism goup) and started to get really active in atheist activism online.

It's like this Tiki bar, and the people and events and things surrounding it, were inspiring my thoughts and giving me some positive energy to do stuff I had wanted to do for a long time, but had been putting off.

So, what is your personal 'Tiki bar'? People, places, events that inspire you.

Tags: events, inspiration, people, places, tiki, wonder

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

My personal Tiki bar was the sci-fi section of the local library. In high school, the popular kids weren't interested in me. My psychological home was sci-fi, particularly mind-bending stories such as Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service