What Jesus, Horus And Many Other Gods Had In Common

Sitting in women's kitchens in 32 nations of the Earth, we discussed women's lives, educations, families, child rearing, health care, retirement planning, politics and religions, some obvious similarities occur and some important differences.

This film on the sun and seasons and their roles in forming cultural norms through time, on different continents, and in different latitudes impressed upon me the importance of stories and myths in cultural evolution.

Views: 117

Replies to This Discussion

Lovely.  The Star of Bethlehem can be explained by logic and resort to scientific theory (i.e. fact) and all the other geophysical phenomena if up to current critical thinking.  The Cult embraces the Mithraic Mysteries that so befuddled that terrorist Constantine he outdid Saul Paul the terrorist in slitting throats, e.g. the Arian heretics, within the pre-Nicean bishops.  Mithrasmas as we all know was December 25th, which is or was known as Sol Invictus because, although the Sun seemed its weakest at this precise time of the year, and though the shortness of the day produces "seasonal affect syndrome," the Sun comes back strong as ever in the spring, a fact that has not gone unnoticed by the likes of Bill O'Really.  Thank you, my friend.

Oh dear! exactly the opposite of how I perceived that film and the principles. Let me see if I can restate this to have it mean what I mean. 

If stars have patters, constellations have patters, there are seasons, and the sun rises and sets every day and the movement of the moon can be predicted, then the imagination of the human mind is capable of creating stories that fit those predictable events. It is not the elements or seasons that create the stories, it is the mind that fabricates ways to explain patterns.

If humans create stories and tie them to some kind of gods, that can't be the work of god they are the creation of human minds. 

Does that make any sense? Please participate with me in making a powerful statement out of these events.  

If humans create stories and tie them to some kind of gods, that can't be the work of god they are the creation of human minds. How true.

Problem is that neither stars nor constellations have intrinsic patterns as humans perceive them. The patterns are a construct of the human mind. Take the constellation Orion, as one example. The two most prominent stars, Betelgeuse and Rigel, are 129 lights years away from each other, from the perspective of earth. That's approximately 774 trillion miles distance. The two have no effect on each other, other than the pattern we see from earth. Yet around these patterns that only we can perceive, we construct stories of gods and mythical heroes to explain their existence.

Same with the current mantra of the "reason for the season." The reason is not a cosmic Jewish zombie who happened to be his own father without ever having had sex with his mother. Nor the mysteries of Mithras who was conceived and born without male intervention on December 25th. The real reason is the 23.5 degree axial tilt of the earth which, coupled with our orbit around a very common star, gives us the seasons we experience, the same as our ancestors going back millenia.

The stories constructed around these patterns caused from natural events are all wonderful - to a point. Passing down traditions of morals and culture are one thing. Persecution and the bloodthirsty murder of those who actually look at and study the stars, rather than blindly accepting the dogma of those that want to impose their patterns on everyone else, is quite a different thing.

"Persecution and the bloodthirsty murder of those who actually look at and study the stars, rather than blindly accepting the dogma of those that want to impose their patterns on everyone else, is quite a different thing."

Am I reading you correctly, that the perceptions of ancients is that stars caused murder

Are we not saying the same thing? Ancients created myths tied to predictions of the sky and used the mythology to rationalize  their murderous behavioars. 

I'm glad you struck that one sentence, because it wasn't the stars that caused murder. Not even in the perception of the humans who initially made up the patterns. Justification for the murders, however, yes. It was the justification and propitiation to the gods they invented, from the patterns they saw and still see, that caused, and still cause, the murder and bloodshed. 

I have no intrinsic problem with the mythological stories woven around these patterns. Some, in fact, are quite entertaining. A few, even, have something that might be considered enlightening. It's when I'm told that I have to unquestionably accept these stories at knife point, spear point, arrow point, or gun point, that I tend to have a problem.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Greg replied to B Fletcher's discussion Hey everybody, the world's about to end. Again.
6 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
26 minutes ago
Two Cult Survivor replied to Two Cult Survivor's discussion Need advice on coming out to my spouse
28 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
42 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
57 minutes ago
Tweeeekk replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion ALL Politicians Should Be Made to Read: "Homosexuality, atheism etc: What's it to you?"
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo posted an album
1 hour ago
Plinius replied to Tweeeekk's discussion Do Religious people actually read their own holy books properly?
1 hour ago
Future replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion ALL Politicians Should Be Made to Read: "Homosexuality, atheism etc: What's it to you?"
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's photo
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's photo
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service