Is there a certain "tradition" of sorts that you do as an Atheist?

Anyone traveling?

Views: 272

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not a great one for traditions, per se, at least not traditions established by someone other than myself.  However, last year, I may have started something.  My wife and I had my best friend (who currently has no family in the vicinity) over for Thanksgiving dinner.  I've known him for over 30 years, and considering that last year, he observed that his T-day would have otherwise been courtesy of Kentucky Fried Chicken, I was glad to offer him our table and company.

I can honestly say that I am thankful and appreciative of the long friendship he and I have shared.  If that doesn't suit the holiday, I don't know what does.

Loren I think that sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving.

It's good to celebrate friendships that are dear to you.

edited the discussion - must be sleepy

oops -

No travelling here. Kids are grown and have moved very far away. Phone call yes. Neither of us think the other should have to fight airport crowds or crammed interstate highways for a turkey dinner.

As to Thanksgiving, I always make dinner. I chase my partner out of the kitchen, put her feet up, get her a cup of coffee or a cold drink, and hand her the remote control. The only restriction is that she doesn't turn on football (to which she readily agrees). We have dinner, bring some food over to our elderly neighbor, visit with him, come back and curl up on the couch with a hot toddy.

Ohhh, and on Friday, we avoid shopping as though the malls were the vector for bubonic plague.

Good plan Pat!

Sounds good Pat.  Especially avoiding the bubonic plague vector.

Just working. My family always brings food from home up to the hospital, so I take my lunch break to eat a little something.

Each of us kids will make up a plate and take it to someone we know, or my sister will have them over to her place. Will go over to her house after work. My son and daughter-in-law will be there, as will nieces and nephews, and others. We laugh, tell old stories, tell new stories, look at pictures, call family and friends in other places, just have a good time. Always lifts my spirits.

Tony that sounds great -- except for having to work.

We love to travel for Thanksgiving, and this year we are going to Vieques to check out the bio-luminescent Bay there!  I hope my Thanksgiving dinner will be lobster bought at the pier from a local fisherman.  Our tradition is to have no tradition and we enjoy doing something different each year. I hope you all have a lovely holiday!

You too Annie! Wish you the best!

What are your Thanksgiving plans? I have none because the day is not celebrated in my country.

Napoleon I still hope you have a nice day - I realize we aren't all from the US. : )

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
11 minutes ago
Steph S. replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
12 minutes ago
Steph S. liked John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years
13 minutes ago
Dr. Terence Meaden liked John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years
18 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
18 minutes ago
John Jubinsky added a discussion to the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
26 minutes ago
Sentient Biped posted a discussion
39 minutes ago
Michael Pianko commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
41 minutes ago
Freethinker31 commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Why America isn't the greatest country in the world anymore.
43 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Why America isn't the greatest country in the world anymore.
44 minutes ago
Sentient Biped commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
44 minutes ago
Lil' Bitch in an Egg updated their profile
46 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service