I just read a post on FB written by the friend of a friend.  He's a 21-year old guy.  I'm a 44-year old woman, just to give it some perspective.  His is a bible-thumper (I'm not friends with him on FB, he just posted on a friend of mines wall, but I know him and his family through mutual friends).  He said if a woman doesn't want to get pregnant, she shouldn't have sex.  I know I should just let it go, but I let him have it.  So the only reason to have sex is to get pregnant?  Then he said something about if she gets pregnant she has no right to 'kill the kid'.  I mentioned rape and incest and the fact that not everyone believes  a fertilized egg is a 'kid' yet, and if he doesn't believe in the right to have an abortion, don't have one, and it's a personal decision,etc.  I KNOW I shouldn't have argued with him.  But it's 4 a.m., I can't sleep, and now I let myself get pissed-off by someone I know is a fundie.  Ugh. lol.  I will ignore the post if he posts again.  There are too many of them to piss me off.  I'd have a coronary if I let them all get to me...

Views: 357

Replies to This Discussion

I know that telling the truth to someone who refuses to believe it and gets obnoxious in their refutations is extremely stressful, but still, you did the right thing. It won't influence this particular young man, but it may influence others. And that counts.

Just don't get into any of these discussions to the point where it's taking more out of you than you have to give. The proudly ignorant will remain so, and if you need to back off in order to retain your sanity, it's OK.

Thanks for doing your little bit! :-)

Thanks Natalie! ~ Melinda

I just saw that he posted again.  I will not look.  I will not look. I will not look. lol

You began standing up for yourself. That's a beginning. Some are better at it than others. Some learn quickly that these 'Christians' get really nasty when challenged. They are not used to being spoken to in a manner that challenges their brainwashing.

I find it totally and completely 'fun' to see how long during a discussion and how soon I will be told I'm going to burn in Christian Hell. Next, I like seeing exactly how many new and unique ways these totally and completely insane people can come up with that maybe I've not heard before. How many times during a discussion with a Christian does it NOT turn to the burn in hell scenero? They cannot help themselves. It's always their way or it's the pathway to their hell. Maybe a couple times over the last 20-years has a discussion continued more than a few postings before I'm told I will certainly suffer the consequences of not accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

Never under-estimate a Christian. They seem to thrive totally on vicious ways to tell you you will burn and suffer in their prison named Hell. Such a loving, peaceful and compassionate religion.

It's a game and they play it well (centuries of practice). We must also play it well and in doing so it confuses them. They stammer and stumble all over themselves. It's fun watdching it happen.

Hi Steven, I've been standing up for myself for a long time, it's just that I wasn't going to get into with anyone on Facebook since it's so pointless, and I did it on a friends page.  She is also an Atheist though (and a woman, lol) and she and another one of her friends also let him have it.  I can't continue watching that conversation anymore, as I don't need high blood-pressure!

You're right, it's a game (a dumb game), and I'm sick of playing it, but I do love a good comeback when they don't have an answer... :)

Christians are never more loving than when they love to hate.

I know what you mean! I stupidly responded to a YouTube comment on a Lawrence Krauss video.  The commenter was some creationist claiming to be an ID scientist.  I just couldn't help debunking and mocking his lame arguments, but it was pointless as he never answered any of my questions and just got more and more stupid.  I was angry at myself for getting sucked in, because if you stop responding, the idiots think it means they've won the argument.  

However, I think you did the right thing because, as several others have said, we can't let this ignorant, misogynist crap slide.  Even though I'm a menopausal 49-yr.-old, I've got a 21-yr.-old daughter who may find herself back in the dark ages if these misogynist assholes have their way.  I don't want her to have to live in a world like that, so I make it my business to call out this crap whenever I can.  Good for you for doing it!

When I get into it with Bible and KJV zealouts I hit them with, 

Psalm 32:1, Blessed is he whose transfressions is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
Psalm 65:3, Inequities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away.
Psalm 103:12, as far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
Isaiah 43:25, I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.
Isaiah 44:22, I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgresssions, and, as a cloud, thy sins; return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.

All Old Testament stuff, why was a NEW testament required when God "The Holy One the King" has already forgiven all of our transgressions?

They all squirm and give every excuse from that was only of Israel or we needed "true" forgiveness.

With the internet anything they Quote can be proved wrong by the same Bible.

Why, this has to be one of the absolute DUMBEST things I've ever heard! I probably would've laid it on him, too. I know it wouldn't be wise, but I'm a teenager and -- not to make my fellow teens look bad -- we tend to do stupid things.

Hi Maia!  This guy is 21, but he's just dumb.  I have a 20-year old daughter, wise beyond her years.  You also sound awesome.  Yes, teens do do some dumb things (I did PLENTY!!!!), but some people are just smarter than others, and I'm not talking about good at school work.  I mean they are better thinkers.~Melinda

True, true.

The fundies are at it again.

I have them in my family .. I get to hear all that crap all the time.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Seaburrito posted a status
"Getting started selling stuff using ebay, Man there's alot of technical procedures between paypal and ebay to navigate...."
6 minutes ago
Future replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
9 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Let's guess what Cardinal Law is doing right now...
58 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
1 hour ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
1 hour ago
Luara posted a discussion
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service